chapter four: the plan

THE CREW TALK OVER EACH other while Cesar distractedly nods at each of them

THE CREW TALK OVER EACH other while Cesar distractedly nods at each of them. He finally loses his cool because of the chaos and yells. "Yo! One at a time, I'm not following."

Ruby smiles and raises his hand for Cesar to pick and responds, "Sorry, it's excitement.We've been chewing on this the last two weeks! And it's finally time to move forward with the plan."

Cesar replies confused, "A plan for what?"

"Getting you out of the gang," Monse explains to which Cesar responds with laughter as the rest of crew look seriously at him. He quickly registers their reactions and stops laughing.

"You're serious?" The crew responds with nodding heads and Liliana puts her thumbs up.

Cesar shakes his head. "Oh, my gosh! No! No, no, no, no. There is no out. You're being naive. Once you're jumped in, you can't get out. Unless, you get jumped out, and that's not, you know, an option."

"Why not?", Lili and Jamal ask at the same time.

"They beat you till you die." Cesar responds solemnly.

"Oh, I see your dilemma." Jamal and Lili look at each other with wide eyes.

Monse decides to cut in, "Death isn't the only option. Ruby?"

Ruby stands up at the mention of his name and explains, "So, after copious amounts of research, I've formulated a theory that all great things come in threes: The Holy Trinity, primary colors, Destiny's Child..."

"D.C. started with four members," Jamal cuts in.

"But they weren't big until they were three," Ruby responds which cause Jamal and Lili to point at each other in a "he's right" motion.

He continues, "Which is why there are
three common denominators to end any and all hostile situations. I call them the three M's. Money, murder, manipulation." He hands out binders for the crew to grab.

"No, not that one. They're watermarked." Lili opens her binder to find her name watermarked on the inside.

Monse continues the speech, "Clearly, murder's off the table. The irony would be too much."

"There's no way we can hustle up enough cash with a car wash to make it worth Oscar's while," Ruby adds.

"Unless..."

"Jamal, don't. Please don't say it."

Jamal continues anyways and walks over to Cesar, "Getting a lot of cash isn't outside the realm of possibility."

"What are you talking about?" Cesar asks.

"RollerWorld," Ruby and Monse reply halfhearted while Lili replies excitedly.

"It's real and 50K is still out there. The dudes that robbed RollerWorld got put away, but the money was never recovered."

"In the '80s!" Ruby shouts annoyed.