chapter three: b!tches be bonkers

LILIANA SITS BY RUBY AND Jamal and quietly sips on her fruit punch Arizona, as they watch Jasmine and Monse in the yard opposite them. "All we were trying to do was be good friends and now we're not friends."

"Yo, bitches be bonkers." Liliana looks at Jamal with a betrayed look. "Sorry." They continue to silently watch the shenanigans going on in Jasmine's yard.

Ruby breaks the silence. "No, we're looking hard. This is how you pull in the honeys." Liliana scoffs.

"No, we pull in the honeys by finding the RollerWorld money. This is lame. This ain't even real." Jamal says pointing to the sack in his hand.

"You know what's not real? Is RollerWorld. There's no money buried in our neighborhood."

"It is real. You just aren't a believer. You don't even believe in the Yeti." Jamal disputes.

Liliana turns her head at Ruby looking shocked. "You don't believe in the Yeti?" The boy in questioning rolls his eyes.

Monse appears at gate."Hey."

"Hey."

"So I'm cool if you're cool." Monse says.

"I'm cool."

"I'm cool."

"I'm cool." Liliana finishes.

"Cool. What's in the sacks?"

"Forties."

"Gatorade." Liliana rolls her eyes.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" They nod.

💰

Liliana and Jamal walk into Dwayne's Joint on a mission."Okay Jamal, this is what you're gonna do. You are going to go in there and you are going to tell the whole truth. Got it?"

"Got it," he replies. The two arrive in front of Dwayne's office. Liliana stops and watches as Jamal walks in. He stands in front of his dad's desk and starts to talk.

"Dad, I can't keep a secret for crap. I'm not playing freshman football. I don't even like football." The boy's father gives him an intimidating stare. Liliana silently begs for Jamal not to crack while watching from the window outside.

"What do you mean not playing and you don't like football?" Mr Turner asks.

"I-I don't like football -" Jamal sees his dad's face harden and thinks quick. "because I love football! And I'm playing varsity." Liliana sighs from the other side of the wall. "God damn it,"

"You serious?" Jamal reluctantly nods his head and whimpers. "Bring it on in!" Liliana watches as his dad goes in for a handshake and ends pulling Jamal on the desk. Jamal walks out of the office grabbing his shoulder in pain. When he comes out, Liliana just looks at him in disappointment while shaking her head.

"You just dug yourself into a deeper hole,"

💰

Liliana and Jamal walk side by side down the block towards their school. Monse walks up and falls into step with them. Ruby comes after and the four walk together in silence. After walking for a second, they naturally stop in front of Cesar's house. "He's not coming with us."

"And why would you want him to?", Jamal continues. Monse ignores them and walks toward the house. "Monse? Monse!"

Jamal ends up following her but turns to Ruby first. "See, bitches be bonkers."

"Jamal!"

The said boy throws an apologetic look towards Liliana. "Lili, I told you when I say that I don't mean you," The girl just rolls her eyes and follows the two other teens across the street. Ruby follows behind her. The teens stop in front of the Diaz house as Cesar comes out. Liliana, Ruby, and Jamal walk in front followed by Cesar and Monse.

Jamal breaks the silence. "I can't do this. I can't keep a secret. It's gonna make me implode. I don't know why anybody keeps secrets."

Monse confesses. "There's something I need to tell you." Gunshots ring out interrupting her.

". 44!"

Cesar's brother pulls up on the side of the crew ."Cesar." He signals him to get in the car. They watch as he gets in and the car drives off. The teens follow Monse into the street as she watches the car disappear down the road.

"What were you gonna say?", Liliana asks.

"Cesar, we need to save him."

NOTES!

This is short sorry, I wanted to start episode 2 in a different chapter.