prologue: loyalty trumps victory

IN THE CHAOTIC STREETS OF Freeridge, California, a party can be seen going on. If you drive past that party, you would see that the Freeridge seniors of 2018 are having a graduation celebration. If you go deeper into the house of that party, people can be seen dancing, snacking on food, drinking, getting high, and anything of that sort. As you get closer to the backyard, four pre-freshman are standing on containers, watching this event go on.

"Do you see him? I don't see him," the afro-latina says. "Something bad is happening. I can feel it. I knew this was a dumb idea," the skinny black boy adds. "Pop a zannie, J. We can't see him 'cause he's being stealth," the spanish boy replies. "No doubt. He's got this. When has Cesar ever disappointed?" the afro-latina adds.

"Mmm, fourth grade. Kickball tourney. We lost," the black kid retorts. "Only 'cause I picked the kid with no skills. And I'd pick you again," the taller spanish boy that has just arrived adds in. He chucks beers at each of his friends. "Loyalty does trumps victory, compa," the spanish girl says to the black boy.

If you were to go to their school, you would know that they were Monse, Jamal, Ruby, Cesar, and Liliana.

"Ah. Take it in," Cesar starts after everyone gets settled. "This is about to be us. This is high school," Liliana states in amazement. The five teens take a sip of their beer and revolt in disgust. "Ruby, you think your brother's gonna marry Angelica?" Monse asks.

"No idea. Mario tells me jack," the boy replies. Jamal chuckles and adds in the fact that he said Angelica has a dangler. "He said that?" Liliana questions with a confused face. Jamal nods his head. Ruby turns towards him with wide eyes. "In private! Time and place, dude."

"Oh, guys, check out Huerita at nine o'clock," Ruby starts.

"Monse, if you were a girl,"

"I am a girl."

"Yeah, but if you were a girl like that, would you wear underwear?" Monse rolls her eyes at him. Ruby turns to Liliana and she looks at him with a 'don't you dare' face.

"Oh, my God, I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die," Jamal suddenly starts and begins breathing funny. "Why are you gonna die?" Liliana asks him concerned.

He points over to some seniors in the backyard. "Those guys play for the 'Ridge. Did you know that last year alone over a quorum of kids-", Jamal explains. "Died playing football? You're stuck on repeat. So, don't play," Monse tells him. "Hey! Give him a break! He has no choice. His pops was a legend." Liliana defends Jamal. "Yeah! It's family tradition," Jamal finishes.

Ruby, in his own world, suddenly gains everyone's attention.

"Guys, check out my game. Huerita just gave me the nod." He suddenly makes a sound of pain. The teens turn to see a bald headed man with tattoos holding on to Ruby's neck.

"Eyeing my girl, cabron?" the man asks. "No. God, no. I'm not into blondes," Ruby says thinking that will help. "Easy. He does your mom's taxes. Mrs. Guzman, right?" Cesar says trying to help as well.

"Three thousand dollar refund. Schedule C, line 30, home office deduction," Ruby adds. "Seriously, dude?"

Another bald man appears over the wall. "Yo, what are you doing, ese? That's Spooky's little bro, dawg." The former man stops choking Ruby. "I didn't realize it was you, homie. Hey, listen, tell Spooky, Sad Eyes sends respects." The two men then disapear behind the wall.

"Thank God for your brother," Ruby says relieved.

"Don't. Thank God for better things,"

The familiar tune of gunshots sound off in the neighborhood and cause a panic. The crew races down the alley and turns onto the street. "That was a .38," Monse states. "No, it was a .45," Jamal retaliates. "It sounded like a .44," Ruby adds. "You're all wrong!" Liliana sings. Another gunshot rings out.

"-. 357!"

NOTES!

- the gif makes me laugh because it from her storytime video where she was at a party that was shot up and i think that's ironic