chapter two: blossomed

"Are you high!?"

"I'm not gonna hash shit out. To what end? Death? Cesar might've joined the gang." Jamal says to Monse.

"He's not stupid. He's affiliated, yes, because of his brother, but- "

"And his cousins, his uncles, his dad, his grandpa," Jamal continues.

"Even the gay one," Liliana says absentmindly.

"I know. I know." Monse replies.

"Wait. You knew about the gay one?"

"He goes by the name Bananas. It's not that subtle," Liliana explains to Jamal.

"No! I know Cesar's family's been in that life forever. But he'd never join a gang. He's an outlier. So whatever's going on, it's not that." Monse tries to reason as she looks over at him.

"I'm sorry Monse, he's just not the same," Liliana states calmly as the trio look over at him sitting.

"He dumped us."

Monse turns back around towards the friends. "But I wasn't here, so it's not official."

"If someone breaks up with you over text, is it official?", Liliana asks.

"Yes."

"Then consider me the text." Jamal pretends to type on a phone. "Ding! You've been dumped!"

Monse makes a move to walk away. "Wait, please don't go. Please, you're - You're not safe." Jamal warns.

"Why?"

"Because you've blossomed." Jamal says hesitantly.

"Blossomed?"

"Popped. Busted out. Puffed your party pillows. Whatever you want to call your new cha-cha-bingos. These new homies he's hanging with, they're thirsty." Jamal explains and then tosses his jacket towards the girl's chest. Monse ignores him, tosses the jacket back and walks towards the Santo house.

"Okay! Don't worry, girl! We got your back-,"

"-from right here." Liliana mumbles.

Monse stops in front of Cesar. "I need to talk to you."

"I'm listening."