chapter five: ruby's room

"He's not the man for the job," Monse starts while Jamal, Lili, and her walk down the sidewalk

"We have to figure out the work around. Like his diction. Sometimes I don't understand half of what Ruby says. You know what I mean?"

Jamal rubs his hands down his face and sighs in frustration. Monse notices this and says "What?"

"You're giving me a migraine!", Jamal responds exasperated.

"Think about how I feel. I have no time to teach Ruby not to talk with his hands. He can't do that stuff with Oscar. Dudes gesticulate a lot in prison. We don't want to remind him...,"

At that moment, all three teens here music coming from a car that is pulling up beside them. The car gets closer and reveals Cesar in the passenger seat.

"Hey. Where you headed?", Cesar asks while sticking his head and arms out of the car. The other teens try their best to not make eye contact.

"Nowhere."

Cesar tries again, "Whatcha doing, Jamal?" Both girls shove Jamal in the arm on either side as a nonverbal reminder to not reveal anything.

"Decorating Ruby's room!"

"So there's no scheming?"

Jamal immediately gives it up, "We're scheming."

Liliana tries to save their plans by adding in, "With color!"

Monse nods along, "Every good room rehab needs a color scheme."

"I know a lot about the color theory. I'll come along to help. You can drop me here, homie.", Cesar makes his way out of the car while Monse rolls her eyes. He wraps his arms around the teenagers shoulders and they continue to walk.

"Don't you have to go tag something?", Monse asks sarcastically.

Cesar pretends to think about it and then says, "Nope."

💰

The four ring Ruby's doorbell and he opens the door shortly afterwards.

"We're here to feng shui your room! That's why we're here," Monse exclaims excitedly with a small smile.

"I don't have my own room, but..." The other four teens look confused as Ruby comes outside of his house and backs them up from the front door.

"I have a boner. My cousin just moved in." Cesar and Monse look down and Lili and Jamal side eye each other in response to Ruby's words.

"Not like my cousin cousin, like, "What's up, cuz?" You know, like fam, but not fam."

"Like if you can't keep it in your pants, keep it in the family," Cesar confirms sarcastically.

"Exactly! No. No, not exactly. There's no blood relation. There is no inbreeding."