Chapter 10

Harry was well liked by the teachers, he tried his best to take notes with one of James' quills and some spare parchment. Harry did catch some parts James didn't, but mostly Harry's notes made little sense, but that made sense, Harry hadn't learnt any magic yet. The teachers did like using Harry and his albeit messy notes as an example for students who were messing around.

"Okay Harry, time for your first flying lesson." James said proudly, he was in his Quidditch gear as he and Harry had come down to the pitch half an hour before the Gryffindor team practice was scheduled.

Harry nodded excitedly, clutching the toy broom Professor McGonagall had given him close to his chest. Although Vernon was very strict about Harry not seeing anything that might give him "dangerous ideas", which now Harry thought about it probably meant that Vernon and Petunia knew about his magic, Harry had seen some of Dudley's TV shows with witches flying on brooms and Harry had always wanted to try.

James' broom was significantly more beaten than Harry's, it was the same one James had gotten a while ago, it was still good, and James liked how it worked. The rings were thicker than the ones on Harry's though.

"First thing's first, we need to make sure that you have control over your broom. This works best with a normal broom, like mine, but you should still be able to do it with yours. Put your broom on the floor, and put your hand over it like this." James said, lying his own broom beside him as though he had let it fall after landing, holding his had just over halfway up it.

Harry hurried to copy James, checking three times to make sure he was holding his hand at the right point. Lily came to the stadium to watch, but neither Harry nor James seemed to notice.

"Great, now just say 'Up' very firmly and think of the broom flying into your hand." James said, he wanted to pat Harry on the head, but he was going to have to show Harry what to do before he could do that. "Up."

James' broom immediately flew up into his hand, hitting his hand forcefully. Harry gasped, and clapped James for his success, making James chuckle, walking over to Harry and ruffling his hair, stepping back and gesturing for Harry to try.

"Up." Harry said as firmly as he could, but he still sounded a little unsure of himself, making James worry for the half second between Harry starting to speak and the toy broom jumping into his hand.

Even though toy brooms should respond less strongly to magic than real brooms, being the way that they have a speed limit, Harry's broom flying up almost faster than James' did, making Harry stumble slightly from the force he hadn't really been expecting.

"Well done Harry, now get on how you think you should, and I will be able to correct it, then we can start flying." James said with a smile.

"Okay." Harry nodded with a small smile, feeling proud of himself for managing it first try, even if he didn't manage to stand still while doing it.

Harry relied on instinct to know how he was supposed to sit, all he had seen was a few short clips of villains in Dudley's shows, but if Vernon ever saw that he was watching the TV would always either be turned off, or Harry would get thrown out of the room. Harry didn't know how to explain it, but he always felt like they weren't doing it properly.

"You're doing really well, Harry." James said, looking over Harry's stance, which was perfect. "Do you already know how to fly?"

"No." Harry looked away, his cheeks a little flushed as he got complemented. Even though he wanted to fly for a long time (especially because of those dreams of a flying motorbike), he never had.

"Well, you are my son, it must just be in your blood." James said proudly, pulling Harry into his side for a hug, grinning practically ear to ear. "Now you're on your broom it's time to start flying."