Chapter 14

"Potters, Professor McGonagall needs you." A Hufflepuff interrupted the Charms lesson the Gryffindors were in, making Harry cling to James.

"Go ahead." Professor Flitwick gestured for James and Harry to leave.

James held Harry close with one hand while Sirius helped him collect his things. It was fortunate that the Marauders sat by the door, especially after Harry came, as they were able to make their exit without any more disturbance to the class.

"Don' wanna leave." Harry complained quietly into James' chest as he walked, James' bag hanging loosely off his shoulder, making him walk awkwardly in order to try to stop the bag hitting Harry.

"I know, baby, but it'll be better for you at home, and I'll be home during the holidays. I promise." James was sure that Professor McGonagall would be willing to bend the rules a little to let the two see each other during term time too, but he wasn't about to tell Harry to get the child's hopes up in case he was wrong.

Harry didn't say anything else, but nobody could think he was happy about it. He had been clingier to James since he had told Harry about going with James' parents once they came to Hogwarts, if that was somehow even possible.

"Well, I'm going to go now." The Hufflepuff announced once they reached the door to McGonagall's office, turning and walking away.

"Harry, I promise everything will be fine." James whispered into Harry's hair as he opened the door, his parents and McGonagall looked at the two.

"Now that James is here, can you tell us why we were summoned. I'm sure we already told you that we trust your judgement as far as punishment for anything he does goes. We don't need to be here for a suspension or expulsion." Euphemia turned back to McGonagall before she really took in Harry.

"Euphemia, I assure you that the reason for asking you to the castle has nothing to do with anything James has done." McGonagall smiled at the couple as James also took a seat, Harry hiding in his cloak.

"Then why were we called and without Sirius being here?" Fleamont turned to McGonagall too, also not noticing the larger filling of James' robes that was Harry.

"James, I believe it would be best if you explain." McGonagall gestured towards James, his parents turning to look at him.

"Mum, dad, meet my future kid, Harry." James grinned, unwrapping his cloak to reveal Harry, who was hiding his face.

"'Future' kid?" Euphemia's eyes were softening as she looked at the small child clinging to James' clothes.

"I haven't done the actions required to have a child yet. Harry has very impressive magic and came back in time." James explained to his parents while trying to convince Harry to look at them, but Harry would not move his head out of James' robes.

"So you want us to take Harry in?" Fleamont held his hand out to Harry, who ignored it.

"Please. I know I can't do anything for him while he's home during term time, but I will be doing everything he needs when I'm home. He needs a mind healer and while Mme Pomfrey has done her best he still needs to go to St Mungo's. It's not a good sign, but he is a very well behaved kid." James felt like he was begging his parents to keep a pet, but he knew young children took a lot of work.

"James, do you think you need to persuade us to take in our grandchild?" Euphemia raised an eyebrow at her son who seemed to be struggling to shut up about reasons they should take Harry in. "You're right that you will be involved entirely when you're home, but take advantage of your parents here."