7 - Push and Pull

The next morning was filled with my usual waterbending routine. When I finished up, I decided not to go to the hospital just yet. I preferred to wait until after dusk. After what happened yesterday, I wanted to give myself some advantage. It was interesting how part of me still approached this like a battle. I wanted to rise with the moon. I always did feel my strongest at night.

I spent the day hiking a trail up the side of the volcano that formed this small island. It had laid dormant for hundreds of years, and many considered it to be inactive. But as with all of these volcanic islands, the soil was rich and the plant life spectacular. The Fire Nation was a truly beautiful place when I stopped to think about it.

Just as the sun made its descent over the horizon, I arrived at the hospital. Aside from the guards, Zee was the only one around. Lazu and Chan had gone home for the night. Zee gave me a quick report on Azula's status.

"She didn't sleep last night, but she did take a few short naps during the day. Each time she would try to sleep, she'd wake up in a cold sweat. If this continues for much longer, we're going to have to intervene with herbs to make her sleep. But Lazu thinks its best to see if she'll get herself back into a regular sleeping pattern. We've mostly left her alone today, hoping that she would just rest, but you are welcome to go in."

I entered the princess's room. She was sitting up, her back against the wall. Her eyes locked on me the second I walked in the door.

"Good evening, Azula," I greeted her, taking a seat near her bed.

"Why do you insist on tormenting me?" she asked, glaring at me, the dark circles under her eyes more obvious.

"Can't even say hello first?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Why would I say hello to an enemy?"

"Azula, the war is over. I'm not your enemy anymore," I tried to reason with her.

"You will always be my enemy."

I sighed in frustration. "Why can't you just accept the fact that I want to help?"

"Because I don't believe you," she said simply, and I was at a loss. "Put yourself in my shoes, waterbender. If things were reversed, would you believe me? Would you let me help you?"

This was the second time she'd brought this up, and I remember how it ended yesterday. I opted for honesty this time instead of evasion.

"No, probably not," I said quietly, my gaze dropping to the floor.

"And why is that?"

"Because… I don't trust you."

"So do you see my dilemma?"

"It's not the same thing," I said, finally bringing my eyes back up to meet hers.

"It is the same thing," her simplistic answers annoyed me for some reason, and I felt myself begin to lose my patience.