16 - Inner Fire

A light tug on my neck woke me from my slumber, as I opened my eyes to see Azula sitting beside me—her fingers gently examining the pendant on my necklace. Seeing that I was now awake, she brought her gaze up to meet mine, eyes smiling.

"Sorry, didn't mean to wake you," she said apologetically.

"It's alright. I should be up anyway," I replied, smiling back before stretching out my body. Azula's eyes moved back down to my necklace where her fingers still rested.

"I don't know why I never asked you this before, but does this mean anything?" she asked, referring to the pendant.

"It was my grandmother's betrothal necklace that was passed down to my mother and then to me," I said, unconsciously bringing my hand up to my neck as I often did when thinking of my mother. My fingers lightly brushed against Azula's. "It's my last link to my mother," I finished quietly, closing my eyes. Her warm hand let go of my necklace, encircling mine, and I opened my eyes to see Azula looking at me sympathetically.

We stayed like that for several moments without saying anything. I had come to realize that Azula wasn't much of a talker when it came to expressing "softer" emotions, but those golden eyes and warm touch told me everything I needed to know. She used to hide behind a cold mask, but now there was no reason to. At least not with me.

Noticing that the sun was well over the horizon, I finally spoke again. "I normally practice bending at this time," I explained, getting up to sit. "Would you like to join me?"

Azula's eyes lit up at my offer as she nodded. "It's been too long."

I went through my forms in a shallow section of water, as Azula did the same on land. Her form was perfect, but the flames were still red and weaker than usual, and she began to tire out quickly. She ignored it and continued to push herself. Part of me couldn't help but admire her determination—her will—but this wouldn't do.

"Azula," I called her name out as I came in from the water. "I think it's time for a break."

Shaking her head at me, she kept going, and all I could do was stand by and watch. She was working herself into exhaustion—putting all of her energy into her bending with very little to show for it. Finally, she fell to her hands and knees, breathing hard and utterly spent.

I ran over to her and knelt down. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," she snapped. "I'm just out of practice, that's all." I think she was trying to convince herself more than she was trying to convince me.

"Come on, let's get cleaned up," I said, helping Azula to her feet. Nothing more was said as we packed up and headed back to the guest house.

-0-0-0-

After the way Azula had punished her body in the morning, it was no surprise to me when she fell asleep shortly after brunch. I took that time to visit Ten Xin with several messages I needed to be delivered.

The first was for Sokka and Suki to let them know that Azula and I would be coming to see them soon. The second was for Zuko from both Ursa and I requesting two small airships—one for Ursa's trip back to the capital and one for the trip to Kyoshi Island.