19 - The Girl with the Sun in Her Head

Over the course of the week, Azula and I would meditate each morning. She was trying to see if it would lead to finding a way to learn the healing art of firebending. But unlike when she meditated and had a realization of how to channel her inner fire, the results were more vague this time around.

It was close to the end of our visit on Kyoshi Island before Azula finally made a decision.

"My meditation still isn't clear. I don't know what it means, but I have a feeling my uncle will. Guess we'll be staying in Ba Sing Se for a bit after all," she said wryly. "I'm really not looking forward to this."

"Why not?"

"Uncle isn't exactly fond of me. And to be honest, I've never cared for him either. Unlike my mother and Zuko, both of whom I adored as a child, I never connected with Iroh. I still think he's a fuddy-duddy."

I couldn't help but laugh. "A fuddy-duddy?"

"You know how I loved to make up nicknames to irritate my family, Katara," she said with a smirk.

-0-0-0-

The trip to Ba Sing Se took a little less than three days from Kysohi Island. Along for the trip were Sokka, Suki, Ty Lee, and Elyana. She and Ty Lee had become very good friends while in prison together.

When Azula and I weren't together, she spent most of her time with Ty Lee. She hadn't really bonded much with Sokka, Suki, or Elyana, but I didn't really expect that to happen. At least the previously hard feelings that the three had toward Azula, and that she had for them, had now turned into mutual respect—but that was all it was, and it was good enough.

There was a small docking station for airships near where the outer wall of Ba Sing Se used to be. The outer and inner walls had been completely destroyed when Azula ordered the Dai Li to bring them down. The reinstated Earth King, Kuei, made the decision not to rebuild them. He felt they had separated the capital from the rest of the kingdom and in this era of peace, openness with his own country and the other nations was imperative.

Despite the fact that Azula conquered Ba Sing Se for the Fire Nation, because she had done so with no bloodshed, there wasn't nearly as much resentment from the king as we had anticipated. He even had an escort prepared to take us to Iroh's teashop, which was in the upper ring of the city.

When we arrived at the Jasmine Dragon, Iroh was busy serving tea to a customer. However, a girl named Jin, who was serving as hostess, greeted us in his stead.

"Iroh has been expecting you. Please come with me," she said with a warm smile as the six of us followed her to a private seating area in the back of the shop. "Make yourselves comfortable. Iroh will be with you shortly."

Moments later, he came by with a fresh pot of tea.

"Welcome everyone," he said with a wide smile. "I trust you all had a safe journey."

Everyone said hello, each of us commenting on how beautiful the shop was—well, all except Azula. She sat with her arms crossed, waiting for him to acknowledge her specifically. Ever the observer, he noticed.