8 - The Sun Spirit

In the morning I awoke on the beach, feeling renewed and revitalized. As I began to waterbend, I lost myself in the rhythm of the ocean, almost willing the spirits to infuse me with their wisdom and their qualities. Looking up at the sky, I took note of the position of the sun. It was roughly an hour away from being at its highest point of the day. I figured if I was going to start to gain Azula's trust, I should do as Yue suggested and head over to the hospital at noon.

While walking along the trail leading back to the house, I began to feel that sensation of warmth on my wrists again. I hadn't felt it since the night I was burned by Azula. I slowed my steps, wondering what it was about.

I could sense the presence of something behind me, and suddenly it felt like my whole body was wrapped in warmth. I spun on my heels to face whatever was there, and what I saw made my jaw drop.

Floating a foot above the ground stood a woman with pale skin and wild black hair, wearing nothing but a thin red robe that left little to the imagination. Her body glowed a golden-red color. Light danced in amber eyes as she smiled.

"Who are you?" I asked, finally finding my voice.

"My name is Agni. I am the spirit of the sun." I've seen quite a few spirits in my life, but to have two come to see me in less than 24 hours was a little overwhelming.

"I didn't know that there was a sun spirit."

"Most people don't anymore, not even the Fire Nation, even though they are my children. My name simply exists for them as a form of battle. The only ones who know of me are the Sun Warriors who guard my greatest treasures, Ran and Shao," she explained, obviously knowing that I knew of the secret civilization of firebenders and the dragons that have passed down the secrets of firebending. "And, of course, your friends Iroh and Avatar Aang because they have a connection to the spirit world.

"For the last hundred years, I have watched over my children with a heavy heart as they have waged war on this planet. Fire is one of the most powerful energies in the world. It can bring both life and death.

"The great-grandchildren of Avatar Roku are destined to break this cycle of death and usher in an era of peace with Avatar Aang. But it hasn't been an easy or clear path for either of them due to the dueling energy that exists within them—the energy that comes from their father's side. You saw how long it took Zuko to find his way, how many mistakes he made.

"Azula is ready to find her way as well, but it won't be without struggle. Her cold and calculating exterior was a façade that began to crack when she felt betrayed by her friends. It brought up past memories of feeling betrayed by her mother. But the façade completely shattered when you defeated her during the Agni Kai. Her cruelty had been the protection she had wrapped herself in, but she knows now that it was a false protection. For so long, it's all she's known and now she feels lost.

"Zuko and Azula are special to me because of their destinies. I am overjoyed with Zuko's transformation, but Azula is much more damaged than he ever was. She needs to be healed from the inside out.

"I have watched over her for her entire life, but, sadly, could never directly interfere unless she called upon me."