2. Not Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf

I stared after him, unable to move.

If he told anyone about me, it was over. Nulls didn't get to study magic. Ever. Most schools, public, private, or magic, considered us a danger to the general student population. They weren't wrong.

Fortunately for the schools, we usually didn't survive long enough to have the opportunity to attend.

"Don't let him get to you." The same small voice who defended nulls against Jackson sounded from my left.

I turned to look at my new favorite person, my quiet defender. Her curly blonde hair was pulled back from her face to show off her cheekbones. Her narrow face might give the impression of hardness behind her smile, but her eyes gave her away: kindness lived in her, abundant and inexhaustible.

The majority of the class had already left for their next class. Had anyone heard what Jackson had said to me? Mrs. Diana wasn't paying anyone any attention, and there weren't many people close to us, but I couldn't be sure about this girl.

"He's hot but a major jerk. His friends run the school, but they all answer to Jackson. His family is powerful, and they think that makes them better than the rest of us."

It hadn't always been like that. Things must have changed after his sister died.

Did he think I had something to do with that?

"I'm Emily Newsome. We don't get a lot of transfers, so if nobody has offered to show you around, consider me your guide," she held out a hand. Old-fashioned, but I liked it. I shook it, smiling.

"Rochelle Blakely." A fake name. "Nice to meet you." I wondered if this would be the only friend I'd have time to make before Jackson ran me out of school. "If you can point me to..." I looked at my schedule for the next class, "wherever Ethics of the Arcane is, you'll be my new best friend."

Not in small part because my old best friend hated me now.

"That's where I'm headed. We probably have the same schedule. Most of us do--which means you haven't seen the last of Jackson Lenoir for the day." As Emily turned to go, she threw a smile over her shoulder and added, "Stick with me, kid; I got your back."

I wanted to tell her that she put her faith in the wrong person. That there was a reason for Jackson's nastiness. That she shouldn't be so trusting.

But without more knowledge about magic, I would have no chance to find my dad, and this whole sham would be pointless.

We walked to the next class, Emily giving me facts about the building or maybe the teacher; I tuned her out. I told myself that if Jackson outed me, I would run. He hadn't been the only one to change in the last nine years; I had a few tricks.

But until he did, I was going to learn everything I could. Starting in the evocation class after lunch.

+

The Ethics of the Arcane class was followed by Rune Lore and then Herbology. Though none of them were my main focus, I took copious notes. I'd already read the second-hand textbooks the school gave me as a transfer student. If I had to leave the books behind in a hurry, at least I would have my notes.

I followed Emily to lunch. Beatrice Potts Magischola Preparatory Academy served lunch buffet style; a salad bar stood well-lit near the entrance to the cafeteria, and the hot lunch stand, dessert cart, and sandwich station were all crowded at the back of the space.

The food was included in the price of tuition, even for us scholarship students. Magischola Prep had an entire department dedicated to senior students who wanted to focus on the culinary arts.