12. Of Threats and Winks

"For someone who went to bed early last night, you look like shit."

"Thanks?" I tried to smile at Scarlet. The urge to yawn overcame me and I covered my mouth so she wouldn't see. "At least I don't look like him," I said, jerking my thumb toward Joseph with his head down on the table, buried in his arms.

Sure, I hadn't slept; even if I'd spent more than a few hours in my room, I wouldn't have been able to sleep knowing that it was so easy for someone, anyone, to break in.

The time I did spend in my dorm was wasted trying to convince myself that my bargain with Jackson had been the right thing to do. By the time the sun rose, I'd showered, dressed, and still not come to the conclusion that working with him was smart.

How long do you need? he had asked.

One week. And then I'm gone, I promised. I meant it; I wouldn't be here when the Omega trial rolled around.

Meet me in the library after dark. Tell anybody and I'll deny it.

I ignored the sliver of joy I felt at the thought of spending time with him. Instead, I replayed his threats in my head. The hatred in his eyes. The fear.

I shivered, remembering the slur he had used on day one. Void mage.

Was that really only two days ago?

Joseph's miserable voice cut through my thoughts. "You laugh at my heartbreak?" He picked his head up to give us a wet stare.

"Quit being so dramatic, man," Orville piped in. "This isn't the first time, and it won't be the last. There will be other girls."

Joseph howled. The sound drew the attention of the surrounding tables. Scarlet stiffened beside me. Luckily, it was still early and most students were too tired to care. Even Emily hadn't made it to the caf for breakfast yet.

"Not like her. She was the one," he moaned, hanging his head. "I have loved her from afar for years and Archie swoops in before I can make a move. He's a junior!"

I gave Scarlet a look, mouthing who? She whispered back, "Harmony Gold, she's in our year. Joseph has had a crush on her since he got here."

The name wasn't one I recognized. She could have been anyone at the magischola, there were so many students I would never get the chance to meet. Not for the first time that morning I wished that I would be around to see how it all played out.

"Granted, you've been saying for years that you were going to ask her out and didn't. How many times have you spoken?" Orville asked, not trying to hide his smile. Joseph just sniffed sadly in response.

Scarlet's hand thrust into the air and waved excitedly. "Oh, oh, I know! Pick me!" Before anyone had the chance to 'pick her', she said, "Three. He talked to her three times. That averages to once a year over his career at BPM."

Misery pulled Joseph's head back toward the table and he buried himself in his arms again. I knew their teasing was all in good fun, that it came from a place of love, but seeing someone I liked so desolate broke my heart.

I wanted Joseph--and the rest of the group--to remember me as kind, rather than the person who initiated Joseph's torment.

"Hey Joseph," I said gently. He kept his face hidden when I patted his arm to get his attention. "Would you like my muffin? It's banana chocolate chip and it has healing properties."

He rolled his head to one side to look sideways at me, his chin-length black hair covering most of his face.

"No joke. My mom's a healer. She prescribes these all the time. None of her patients have ever died." That I know of. The table waited as Joseph considered. Slowly, he slid one hand toward my proffered treat and pulled it back to his face. After a minute of staring at the muffin, he sat up.