11. Childhood Friends

Standing in the darkness of the stairwell like a creep, I made a plan.

It was in my best interest not to interrupt Jackson and Miley in their practice. Logically, I should wait them out, stay hidden until they left.

The emotional part of my brain wanted me to storm in there and let loose all of my unpredictable magic on her. But that would just prove Jackson's assumption about nulls. For some reason, I didn't want him to think badly of me.

Or at least not any worse than he already did.

I figured that if I could get to a large outcropping of rocks, I could wait them out. Once they were gone, I could take advantage of the leftover magic in the space (I could feel just how much power had been wasted and left there).

Miley couldn't have unlocked my door from the arena. That didn't mean that she hadn't done it--just that my dorm had probably been open for hours by the time I arrived.

If she did it to warn me away from Jackson, it was unnecessary. I didn't want him. Based on their laughter echoing through the arena and the giggles as they shushed each other, their relationship was strong anyway.

Logic overpowered the emotional part of me. I pushed the frustration at the drama away from my mind and focused on the plan again. Still bathed in shadow, I peeked around the large open hole that served as the arena entrance. If I was going to make it to the nearest outcropping large enough to hide behind, I'd have to be fast.

Magic-powered motion lights lit the arena with a dim glow, making the space darker than it was during classes. The abundant shadows worked in my favor.

Of course, so did the magic in the air. If I could soak up even a little magic, maybe I could use it to cover myself and hide in plain sight. Even though I was barely in the arena, I could feel it.

Magic, not good, not bad, just alive and buzzing, hung invisibly in the air. It practically begged me to take it, to use it. Nobody else was going to.

However, focus too much on your plan and you might not notice when the other people in the room notice you.

"What the hell?"

I jumped at Miley's enraged voice. Caught like a fly in a web. Stealthy, I am not.

"What are you doing here?" Miley started for my not-so-hidden spot in the entryway. "Are you spying on us? I thought I told you to stay away from Jackson."

She had told me that--and I had intended to listen. Had I known they were in the arena, I probably wouldn't have gone there. Even knowing that someone had broken into my room again. Even assuming it had been her.

I didn't want to hurt people. Mad as I was at Miley, I knew that the arena, without any wards, was not a good place to be around her.

But I'd gone down those stairs, hadn't I, even after recognizing her voice. So I guess a part of me didn't subscribe to non-violence.

"I'll stay away from you when you stay away from me."

Miley's face scrunched up, confused. "What are you talking about?"

She was so close now. In a moment, I wouldn't even need magic to hurt her I could just use my fist.

"You know what I'm talking about." I stepped fully into the arena. No point in hiding in the shadows anymore. "Quit breaking into my room. Don't touch my stuff. Stop looking for something you're never going to find."

She looked confused, but only for a flash--and then she was just angry.

"You're so dumb if you think that I'd want anything of yours. He would never love you a dumpy freak like you. Just leave us alone!" Miley pulled back her arm, prepared to throw magic at me.