THE CHASE CONTINUES

MasterImin took out the scroll that had been handed to him by Master Krul; themessage from Master Lui that Eric brought. As soon as he started, Master Iminlooked distraught. It was a worrisome occurrence for those who knew him well.Master Imin was rarely shaken, much less taken aback by anything. To see himpetrified because of a message he read terrified everyone.

"What did it say?" Master Krul asked immediately.

"They have returned," Master Imin replied.

It was a message that only Master Krul seemed to grasp. The frown on his face said that much. It wasn't a rare occurrence that he would make that face, so the Corps could not fully grasp the seriousness of the situation. As people who only lived through the ending stages of the previous war, the Corps could not perceive how great a threat the enemy that approached them was.

"How sure is he? How close are they?" Master Krul asked.

"He is not certain yet. So far, none has been sighted, but he found signs of their return," Imin said.

"Signs? That is not enough. Master Lui has been a little too apprehensive of this situation. He can come home now. The war ended a long time ago," Master Krul said.

"We can't be too complacent. I think you're being too lax about this."

"What if he's wrong? We could shake up the entire empire for no reason."

"We both know that he is rarely wrong. Besides, the reason he sent this information as a coded message was to prevent unnecessary panic. However, the Corps are to be briefed. We need to begin the emergency protocol."

Master Krul scoffed. He wanted nothing to do with the disaster from the last war. It was a past that he wanted to remind behind him forever. But it seemed to always be hovering around his head like the title of the Four and a Half Sages.

"We'll talk. But let the rest of the group return," Master Krul said. he turned to the tired Corps who awaited their fate. They could tell how disappointed Master Krul was. "There will be no punishment for now. A more important issue has arisen. So, until it is duly resolved, we shall continue with our normal activities. Have some rest while we await the others," he added.

"But what if they don't return with Jayden?" one of the Corps asked. The scorn he received from the others made him understand how terrible a question it was.

"I never said we needed him to be here. Whether or not he returns, as long as Ara, Anak and Eric are here, we will begin. He is the reason for this disruption after all. Have some rest until then."

"Well, technically, it was you who arrange the spar that led to all this," Master Imin teased.

"Defending your student, I see. That's a first. I never thought you cared much about him," Master Krul said.

"Hence why you took the chance to bully him?"

"Maybe."

"What gave you the idea that I cared less about him? He is my student."

"Is that why you've been making him patrol the mountains? Have you been corresponding with Master Lui in secret? Master Krul bellowed.

"And why would you think any of that?" Master Imin asked.

"Because no one has more secrets in this group than you two. Why do you leave us out until it is convenient?"

"I have no idea what you're on about, Krul. you should erase such thoughts from your head. They can be dangerous," Master Imin said, as he walked back to his section.

"Where are you going? They might return soon," Master Krul said.

"I doubt that. So, I'll go take a rest. I'm tired again," Master Imin said. but Master Krul was far from pleased.

***

As I ran into the mountains, I knew that neither Ara, Eric nor Anak would back down. I was certain of Ara and Anak because I knew them well. With Eric, it was because he was a main character. They never backed down from such challenges. He should be exhausted from the trials of a journey, but here he was, chasing me as if his life depended on it. Anak seemed to be enjoying herself. We don't run so much, so it was a chance to unless all her pent-up adrenaline. Ara on the other hand was furious. I was certain I would receive an earful when we got back. That of course was dependent on when I was ready to return.

However, for some reason, they stopped. I could hear them stop without looking back to check. That certainly was unusual, so I stopped to find out why. But, as I looked to check, I couldn't tell. It didn't look like they were tired. Were they baiting me? Well, it would be no fun if they stopped chasing me so early. It was my chance to exhibit my greatest talent.

"I can't believe you were right. He really stopped because we stopped," Eric said to Ara.

"I know him well. So, believe me when I say we will never catch him. No one can," Ara said.

"Well, I beg to differ. I will prove you all wrong," Ara said.

"Where the hell did Master Lui find you? You certainly do not listen!" Ara exclaimed.

"He's right. Jayden is only running at this pace so we could keep up. I've chased him before, so I know. If he truly wanted to escape from us, he would have. I'm just enjoying the chase," Anak said. She was smallish; something that made people believe they could bully or intimidate her. And she never failed to prove them wrong. She was a brunette, and I believe that her active spirit is because of the colour of her hair. She had brown eyes, and what was possibly her most notable feature after her hair's sharp colour, she had well-rounded bosoms and a good shape to match. But she was way too feisty to entertain any admirers. As soon as they were attracted by her physical appeal, they were soon taken aback by her sharp and strong responses. I must confess that I was also guilty of the above. But I now know that she has no interest in such.

"I have an offer. Will you listen?" Ara beckoned.

"That depends," I answered. But before we could continue, an ominous presence surrounded us.

"We're not alone," Eric said.