Chapter 5

Secretkeeper's heart beat faster as the black dragon approached her. He kept glancing back to make sure Farsight and the other two didn't see him. Secretkeeper kept her breathing steady, though her stomach was churning and she was sure her heart wasn't supposed to be beating that fast.

"Secretkeeper," Morrowseer greeted casually. Secretkeeper nodded back shakily.

"You... haven't spoken to me in almost a year," Secretkeeper managed out. Morrowseer looked ashamed, at least, but also was awkward.

He shuffled his talons. "Farsight, uh, told me that you liked me...?" Secretkeeper stiffened.

What do you say to that? "Oh, yeah, I love you, Morrowseer, better get going now!"? the dragonet thought. "W-Well, I did, but I guess not seeing you in a while made me get over it." Oh, stop lying to yourself.

"Then no hard feeling? No awkwardness?" Morrowseer suggested, voice cheerful, though there was a hint of something else in his red and yellow eyes.

Secretkeeper smiled. "Yeah. Deal." Just then, a loud gong went off. "Hey! The ceremony!" she remembered, dashing off with Morrowseer at her heels.

The ceremony was held right next to where dragons feasted, although by then the prey had been eaten and the bones swept away. An old NightWing stumbled as he stood in front of the five dragons who were turning, or had turned seven years old that year. There was Secretkeeper, Morrowseer, Farsight, Mastermind, and a dragon Secretkeeper didn't know well who was named Inkwriter. The old NightWing was named Old-eyes, which Secretkeeper always thought was funny.

Old-eyes spoke, "These five dragonets are seven years old... And so I now deem them full-grown... dragons!" It was simple and straight-forward, but a special moment. Whoops and hollers of celebration ensured after Old-eyes spoke, and Secretkeeper felt like she would explode from pride. Dragons crowded around her and the others, laughing and smiling.

Secretkeeper grinned when Hopebringer and Vigilance came up to her. They gave her a quick congratulations, said a curt goodbye to each other and parted ways. Morrowseer, Farsight, Inkwriter and Mastermind followed him, although Farsight was only talking with Inkwriter, and Mastermind hung around the back of the group. Odd, Secrekeeper thought.

"Hey! We hid part of the fresh prey at the Stillwater Cavern... So we all figured we'd go there and eat it, and chat. Since we never really met up there after we formed our group..." Morrowseer called. Secretkeeper nodded and walked next to Farsight.

"Is Preyhunter there?" Secretkeeper asked the dragoness. Farsight shrugged.

"If we see him on the way there, we'll get him," she answered. "I saw you were talking with Morrowseer earlier," she continued, smirking. She had turned away from Inkwriter, who had sped up to talk to said dragon.

Secretkeeper rolled her eyes, and replied, "Really? I've gotten over him." She frowned and added a bit sourly, "That's what a year of being alone does to you." Farsight's ear flicked, but didn't say anything else.

When they arrived at the Cavern - without Preyhunter, because they hadn't seen him - they quickly settled in. It was quite loud with the chatter and chewing of food. They all told Secretkeeper what had happened with them the past year.

All Secretkeeper told them about her year was, "I was alone with my father." They moved on from that subject quickly.

As Secretkeeper flew back to her den, she thought. If I did ever 'get over' Morrowseer, there's no way it'll stay that way forever. I wish I was brave enough to just tell him and get it over with. I just need time. And a chance.

If I even have a chance.

Hey guys! I will update soon, got school and other things to deal with, hope you enjoyed it so far!