TEN

Hyunjin had proven himself to be a good student. I could see his struggle with the grammar concepts but it wasn't like he needed a drastic addition to his study-time for him to get better at the subject.

Hyunjin on the other hand, didn't seem to be as happy by the end of the two focused hours.

"Hyunjin, you did great," I gave him, what I thought was a motivating pat, on his back, "are you worried about anything?"

He sighed before he opened his mouth.

"I don't know. I probably did catch up with a few concepts, thanks to having a teacher like you," I smiled.

"But... I'm just really scared. I mean, after seeing the way you taught me, with such grace and confidence, I am really doubting my capacity. What if I actually end the year this way?"

"Excluding the weekend, we have one week before our finals. And Hyunjin, we all have our own learning capacities, you know. It's okay if you struggle a bit with English. You seem to be a scholar when it comes to other subjects."

"No, Eunmi. It doesn't work that way for me. Every single mark matters when it adds up to one score. Just because of a barrier like English, I can't ruin my entire life."

"Hyunjin, this is just junior year it's not the end of your life..."

"Look, if I don't do well in English again, my total score is going to drop down just like always, even if it means by two or three percent. That small amount literally is everything..."

"Unless you explain why, I'll only think that you worry too much for your age," I responded, sensing something that was deeper than the surface Hyunjin explained.

"I have two choices, Eunmi. One, I study really hard, score better and get into a good university so that I can inherit my father's company. Mind you, it isn't in its best phase right now. Two, I do what I have always dreamt of doing. I practice and sharpen my dancing skill and save up enough money, to get into a high school like SOPA, for senior year."

I didn't know anything about the male sitting next to me...

"By any chance, are you tight on funds?" I asked before mentally slapping myself.

"That's half of my struggle itself," he bitterly smiled to himself, "My dad only helped me purchase this house. I'm glad we didn't rent it or else god knows whose money would be reaching the owner, mine or my father's? Dad only helps with school fees. I earn and pay for everything else..."

I didn't mean it in the wrong way, but a deep sense of pity was starting to trouble the pit of my stomach. I looked at him, who was for the first time, seeming like he had troubles; troubles that were too big for him to handle.

"How do you earn?" I asked, still not sure if I was doing the right thing by further questioning his life and problems like this but all of this came from a good place. It came from a place of care and concern.

"Well... I have... three jobs. On weekends, I work at one of the dance studios, nearby, as a teacher for kids. A café offered me a job on weekends too. On weekdays, I work at a restaurant form 7 to 9 pm. I basically wash dishes and if I'm lucky enough, I get to serve as well..."

That was a lot... to digest. In front of him, I felt so small. Compared to him, I was going through nothing. Yet, I was the one who always wept and acted like the weight of the entire world was placed on my shoulder. I was the one who always acted like the sky had fallen while Hyunjin was the one who always helped me and behaved like the problem was his too.

He always wanted to take a share of what I went through just to make it easier for me.

But me? I didn't even know what he was going through.