4. One step forward

Emily's POV

I had woken up this morning with a wide smile on my face, which wasn't something I often did. I just couldn't stop thinking about last night. Although it was wrong of me, I wish I could've lived in that moment forever - wished that even for a second it was real for her too... but it wasn't. It was just a challenge, and Elli had a boyfriend.

Gosh, it makes me feel like an ass liking someone who's in a relationship. I know I can't control my feelings, but it makes me feel bad every time I'm around her, thinking those thoughts that I knew I shouldn't. I was almost done with my school work, which I liked to do every morning at my desk before I got ready for the day when I heard a knock on my door.

I frowned my eyebrows in confusion. That's weird... normally my parents don't knock - although I wished they would. The door slowly began to creak open to reveal none other than Elliana Walmsley, the girl who had been playing on my mind all morning.

"Hey" she greeted, awkwardly letting herself into my room. "I hope you don't mind me showing up so randomly like this, your parents let me in" she explained. She was wearing a short white dress with puffy sleeves, her hair perfectly curled and her eyes lined with blue eyeliner.

"No, it's fine" I laughed, trying to make her feel more comfortable. She smiled, walking over to sit on the edge of my bed. "I'm happy to see you, although I feel so bad that you have to see me like this before I'm ready meanwhile you look flawless like always" I joked.

Elliana shook her head, as if she didn't like the joke. "Don't say that, you always look beautiful. Always" she reassured sincerely. There was something very serious about her tone, which broke up the lighthearted tone. I turned away from her, feeling her words cause a slight blush on my cheeks.

"I'm almost done with my work" I mumbled, looking down at my paper. She sat up from my bed and walked towards me. "Then leave it, you can finish the rest later. Let's go do something!" She urged, gently tugging on my arm. I looked between her and the sheet of paper before deciding I'd much rather hang out with Elliana than finish these maths equations.

"Wow Elli, you're a bad influence" I joked as I sat up from my desk. She laughed in response, shaking her head. "If I don't force you to go out and live life, who else will?" She teased, causing me fake gasp at her, pretending to be offended. Elliana would often refer to me as a goody two-shoes and tell me that I needed to let loose more. Maybe she was right.

"Ok" I hummed. "Just give me a few minutes to get ready" I noted. She smiled, walking into my bathroom that was attached to my room. "Let me help you."

I raised my eyebrows in surprise, but did not reject her offer as I followed her into my bathroom. I had already showered and brushed my teeth, so next was to do my hair and some light makeup. Elliana grabbed my makeup bag, pulling out the few products that I'd use every day. I'm surprised she knows my routine so well.

"This is the next installment of Elliana's spa" she joked. I laughed, shaking my head at her as she smiled proudly at her own words.

"Sit down" she ordered, leading me to place myself on the edge of my bathtub. She stood in front of me, holding concealer in one hand and some mascara in the other. She began at work on my eyes, blending some concealer under them and tapping some eyeshadow onto my lids. After, she swiped some mascara onto my lashes. "Do you want some eyeliner?" She questioned.

I paused, thinking for a second. "I don't usually wear eyeliner" I mumbled thoughtfully, more to myself than Elliana. "To be honest, you don't need it. You're eyes are beautiful enough to speak for themselves" she complimented.

My face immediately flushed red, but I could not turn away as Elliana was in the middle of doing my makeup. "Awww, is Emily getting nervous?" She teased, grinning. If only she knew that was EXACTLY what was going on...

I awkwardly cleared my throat, trying to change the topic of conversation. "So, uh, what next?" I stuttered. Elliana pulled out a brush and started putting some product onto it. "Lastly, blush. Smile" she hummed. I did as she said, allowing her to apply the pink product to my cheeks.

"Wow, you look so perfect" she gasped in awe. She must have done something spectacular to my face to earn such a reaction. I stood up, finally looking at myself in the mirror. When I did, my eyebrows creased in confusion, "I just look like how I do every day?" I questioned. Elliana grinned. "Exactly."