Chapter Two - Monsters

"Oh god, my head," I rubbed my temples as I got out of bed. I looked around at my room, that was... No longer my room.

I climbed out of bed, wearing what appeared to be rags and looked out the window. I was just on the outskirts of what appeared to be a small, lovely village, lacking one essential fact. There was nobody outside. Instead, animal corpses were piled up, heads tied to trees, and hanging like christmas ornaments, and the ground was bloody and muddy.

I decided against going outside, as it looked like a brutal scene and closed the curtains if they could be called that even.

I quickly decided this was a nightmare of sorts and looked around the house I was in. Walking into the kitchen area, I noticed a pot, still simmering on the stove. An apocalyptic dream, perhaps?

I grabbed a spoon from the counter and wiped it off, taking some of the soup. It looked like a nice potato soup, so I tasted it. The soup burned my tongue. Were you supposed to feel pain in dreams?

I quickly looked in a broken mirror at my irritated tongue and noticed the shadows of something moving outside behind me. Turning, I glanced out the window a second time, and my stomach dropped.

Some twisted monsters slowly paced past the house, large teeth protruding from their mouths and blood all over their bodies. They carried weapons of sorts, but based on the blood around their mouths, it looked like they didn't use them much. I shut the curtains once more, swiftly, but also attempting to be silent.

I was clearly not quiet enough as soon one of the monsters had smashed through the front door, and I could hear it making its way to where I was. I squeezed myself under the bed and covered my mouth, hoping for the best. It slunk through the house, its nose twitching and body leaning forward, prepared to pouch in an instance. After what felt like days, which may have only been an hour, it eventually left, and I carefully dragged myself out.

I peered out the front door and saw a couple of the monsters crouched over what was once an older man and decided against using that exit. I looked around for a second option and noticed a small exit hatch on the floor. I made my way towards it, glancing down the hatch to check for anyone or anything before making my way down.

Some guns and a knife laid down in the basement exit, and I made the executive choice to take the knife, as I had never used a gun in my life, and would most likely end up shooting myself, but still needed to protect myself from whatever those things were.

After grabbing the small knife and making a makeshift sheath so I didn't stab myself, I crawled out of the house. Dirt clung to my sweaty clothing, and small rocks stabbed against my arms, but I dragged myself on, knowing those monsters would put me in much worse pain.