An Adjudicator's Choice

Izumi stood atop a grave. Standing tall, and resting her scythe on the ground, it extended up into the air, grasped tightly in her left hand. For the first time in a while, she was confronted with what it meant. What her lady told her duty was... was very different in practice. She wasn't a hero. Never would be at this point. Only the living can be heroes.

No. She was essentially a Valkyrie. An Arbiter of Fate. And this was the first soul she'd ever do this for.

This world had no reaper. Nobody to keep the spirits, of any kind, at bay. She may not have noticed it when she was alive, but now that she did... oh did she notice. They influenced luck, causing accidents, and disturbances, even late into the night. This would not stand.

But they kept clear. Always knowing when she was near. As if they knew that if they did anything, she would strike back. Because of her actions to the living, they had eased off, ready to get back to normal afterlife things... but Izumi wouldn't let that last. They were causing havoc, even if people didn't know it. And that could not last. 

But that was a distraction. A rant... a tactic for avoidance. Closing her eyes, the dullahan sighed, before reopening them and looking to the name etched on the small, simple tombstone.

And then she spoke the name listed on it. "Ochako Uraraka."

Light shone down onto the tobstone, glittering in a single, angelic beam... and then the spirit manifested. The soul of the girl. Wearing what she was during her final day. Battered and broken clothes, but otherwise, you'd think she didn't have an excuse to be dead. Her hair was groomed into a cute looking bobcut, framing her face, even with a faint blush. She floated an inch above the ground, but even with her ability to float, the brunette didn't reach Izumi's height.

And then she opened her eyes. Chocolate, so full of life and energy. It was honestly a contrast to Izumi's own. Looking around, the ghost became more and more worried. "Where am I?"

The Dullahan sighed, before announcing her presence. "You are at your grave."

Whirling around, she saw the one who summoned her. Seeing the intimidating look, Uraraka stumbled to speak. "What... what do you mean by..." she swallowed before continuing: "by that?"

Instead of answering directly, the decapitated girl, unable to form the words, pointed to the tombstone behind her. The brunette's gaze followed until she saw it. Her name. The years of her life... but nothing else. Shock turned to sadness... "So that's why they didn't... Nobody noticed me..." She turned back to the scythe holding girl, and somewhat understood the situation. Afraid, she didn't know what lay beyond. "Are you... here to... 'reap' me?"

Izumi shook her head, nearly having it falling off in the process. "No. I am a guide. Only the violent ones recieve my scythe."

"Where? What happens next?"

"Well... since thou are so young, you have two choices." Izumi stated, holding her free hand up with a V for a moment. "You could go to Requiem. It's the equivalent to heaven. Wait for those you love to join you. Or..."

Her voice was curious as she asked the dullahan. "Or...?"

The greenette's eyes blazed in response. "You could work under me, as a fellow guide."

"How many... guides are there?" The brunette asked, curious.

"Well..." Izumi tilted her head, "Just me. And you are the first soul I've ever helped. Tis my primary duty, as given by my lady. It is a new order, but there are too many rampant souls causing chaos. In fact, one disrupted that machine that crushed you. I wasn't there, because I was dealing with... other issues... but if I had, it is likely that you would not have died."