Chapter 21

Gilly's P.O.V.

Lunch time, the greatest time in fact. Food, no work, friends. Good times. 

I'm seated in the cafeteria at my table, sitting next to Ollie. We're waiting for the others to get hear. After all, class was dismissed like 2 minutes ago, so then how did Ollie and I get here so fast?

Very easily. We ran. Fast. I am speed as one might say.

"Gilly, my bestest friend, the awesome, most perf-"

"Ollie, I'm broke. So no, I cannot give you five dollars. You owe me 20."

"Darn, I thought I could get away with it this time."

"Your magic doesn't work on me Mr. Funklehouse."

We laugh, Kayla arrives shortly after. She sits next to Ollie, the two converse. Slowly our table fills, AG, Jocelyn, Maxine, and finally Jax. He takes the available seat next to me, making Ollie give me the look. If you know, you know, if you don't, you don't. I don't make the rules.

"So, Gilly, how's your day going so far?" Jax asks me.

How is my day going? "My day's been going pretty good so far. Been relaxing I guess, I gotta babysit later so that sucks. Don't get me wrong, I love my siblings, but I just don't understand how they have so much energy after like 7 hours of school. It just doesn't make sense."

"Sugar?"

Oh. "My eyes have been opened," I place my hand on my chest, "thank you, Jax. How could I be so blind?" I groan, is this what being old feels like?

He laughs and I laugh too. The rest of lunch goes by in a flash and so does the rest of the day, next thing I know, I'm sitting in the living room of my house with Kayla. She had offered to help me watch my siblings, not that I need the help, but some company that's my age.

Kayla's currently going off about something she overheard in the girl's locker room, some cheating scandal I'm sure. She gets invested so fast, I'm a bit concerned.

"But you don't understand! It was with his brother!!"

"Kayla, that sounds like the most basic Hallmark movie I've ever heard. And I've seen and heard a lot of them, thanks to my mom and Trixie."

She sighs, "You're no fun to gossip with."

"I prefer more... Intense stories. This is basic, sounds like a 7 year old wrote it."

"Rude!"

I shrug, "It's the truth, find something better."

"Oh I will!" Kayla then pulls out her phone, I didn't mean literally, but okay. Her eyes light up, but then go dark.

"I don't think you wanna hear about this one." she whispers.

"Why?" I ask.

"It's about Jack..."

"Oh." Is all I manage to get out.