1 - Beginnings

"Bunga! Get back here!" A young cub laughed as he dashed through the African savanna.

"No way, you gotta catch me!" An equally excited honey badger smiled from the front.

Two animals, young in age and personality, were playing tag around the fields of the Pridelands' plains, several mighty, watery areas of damp soil and mud laid from the early wet season. Puddles of mud and pebbles littered across the floor as many animals, big and small, trot across the area every day.

All of the animals in the Prideland Kingdom were ruled by King Simba and Queen Nala, two royal lions that stood proud in the pride that rules above every creature inside the borders. From elephants to insects, every animal inside the titanic valleys that separated the outsiders to the civilisation were under the lion and lionesses rule. Luckily, it just so happened that one of these children skidding across the field was none other than Prince Kiongozi, son of King Simba. The other, more reckless creature, was his best friend, Bunga, a brave and agile honey badger.

"Kion, you're boring me here!" Bunga humoured as he turned backwards, still running whilst facing the lion chasing him.

"Not for long..." Kion grinned as he slowly caught up to the animal, lucky enough to playfully paw his friend's shoulder transferring the hunt to Bunga.

"Oh come on!" Bunga whistled, tumbling backwards in a ball.

Kion, now grinning even more, bounced from left to right on all paws. He laughed, aggravating the badger more, causing him to huff and get up, suddenly dashing towards the foe.

With a scramble, Kion turned and sprinted in unexpected directions making it difficult to predict his intention, but his mistake followed suit. The lion ran under the trees of Upendi Woods, a small forest in the centre of the Pridelands, fit with several acacia trees dotting the landscape.

Bunga hopped up a tree and used its branches to manoeuvre above the rooted floor that Kion was forced to deal with. As the lion slowed, Bunga jumped off a branch and landed on his head, smacking Kion's red tuft of mane.

"Dammit, you got me," Kion smiled as he pawed his tired muzzle. They were both tired, due to a long day working their duties for the Guard.

"Hell yeah I did! You can't climb trees!" Bunga cackled.

Kion chuckled along with his friend who perched upon his shoulders, eventually laying back on the lion's spine.

The Prince looked West, along to the Kilimanjaro mountains and saw the radiant orange and blue gradient from below the horizon, signifying the end of a long and eventful day.

"Bunga, we gotta get back. See you tomorrow?"

"Uhh, duh, we got patrol." Bunga teased as he rolled off the lion's back. "See you later, Kion!" He shouted as he fell onto all fours running into the misty plain.

Smiling, the lion shook his head and turned around, facing the direction of his pride's home and signature landmark of the kingdom, Pride Rock. He hobbled towards it and then up the steep rocky slab that perched on the side of the tower like a ramp. At the top, a cave and den dug into the mountain, whilst on the left a perch could be seen with a golden lioness cub sitting comfortably.

"Kiara...?" The Prince grinned.

She turned and matched his warmth. "Oh, hello Kion. Are you ready to ask Father if it is alright?"

"Yeah I'm ready!" He proclaimed, "and why do you speak like that, it's so formal..." Kion swooned as he sat beside the girl.

"This is how a Princess speaks. Father told me to respect my speech, as He and Mother does."