Chapter 2. Not a People Person

"So, my dad says that if we can't come up with enough money for my mom's chemo, I might have to drop out of college." Nadine sits on the stool letting her head rest on the counter of Billie's Cafe.

"Do you have medical insurance or something? I think it would help you out." I lift my friends arms up so I can wipe the rest of the counter down. "Don't you think that's the first place we called?" Nadine slams her head back down in her arms. Patting my defeated friend on the head, I try my best to console her.

"Our insurance company is hella insane, Lanes. We'd be having to pay over $50,000 for my mother's treatment every year. And yeah I could drop down to community college but even my dad said we couldn't afford it." I see no end to my friend's misery. She dreams of becoming a famous painter but dreams come with a cost.

"I'm truly sorry, Nadine. If there was anything I could do, I swear I'd help you. Is there anything I can do," I quickly add.

"Well, you see my future lover over there?"Nadine redirects her focus to the booth, where Kelvin Deavenport is laughing with a bunch of his classmates from our school's swim team.

"He's supposed to have this huge party next friday and I want to go. No, I need to go." Nadine's lips lurch up into a teasing smile. "And how does Kelvin Deavenport have anything to do with me doing anything for you?"

"You see Wesley over there sitting on the other side of the restaurant?" My eyes wander over to a quiet Wesley, who is working on his laptop. Homework I assume since that's only what he ever appears to do.

"Well he's clearly his closest friend so can you do me a favor and ask him to get us invited to his next party." I release a dreadful sigh.

"Us?" Nadine nods quickly.

"Yes, I'm not going alone. I need my partner and crime with me." I can't help but smile.

Since we met two years ago at the start of college we've referred to each other as partners and crime. If we needed something we'd always be there for each other, no matter the situation.

"Someone's interested in the Golden Boy?" My coworker Connor slides over next to me. "Perhaps," Nadine says cautiously.
"How about you, Golden girl?" Connor turns to me. "Don't call me that," I say bluntly. "Just to warn you both, the man's a dick." Connor leans his tall frame against the counter. "And you know this, how?" Nadine asks.

"Everyone on campus knows this." I look over at Nadine who still doesn't believe him. I honestly wouldn't push it past Kelvin for being the opposite of his image. "Well almost everybody I guess," adds Connor rushing a hand through his strawberry blonde hair. He then puts our required Billie's cafe cap on and goes back to the kitchen.

"You know maybe he's right. There's other guys who aren't as dickish as Kelvin," I suggest. "No, I don't believe him anyways. He's been nice so far over text and in person." I nod respectfully to my friend's opinion.

"Just try not to think naively in these situations," I assure her. "Besides I think you're naively not seeing Connor's undenying feelings for you." I squint at her. "He's a pro-lifer and has posted several times on social media how he thinks women should not have abortions. Did you know he doesn't believe that a woman should have control on what she does with her own body." We both nod in unison.
"You make a fair point, Lanes." Nadine takes a sip of her strawberry milkshake before speaking again.

"So here's the plan, you just sit down and ask Wesley if-"
"Ugh, I hate you!" I pull my hat down further on my ponytail before making my way over to Wesley.

As I grow closer and closer to Wesley's booth, I find myself getting a tad nervous. I'm outgoing. I am not letting a hot guy disrupt my confidence. Nope. Nope I'm not going to let-

"Hi, can I get you anything?" Wesley looks up from his computer taking out one of his ear buds. "Someone already asked me for my order. I'm good with my iced tea." Damn why does he already sound pissed.

I'm hesitant before I find the confidence to slide across from Wesley. "Can I help you with something, I'm sort of-" begins Wesley.

"Look I know you're busy and I apologize for interrupting you but I came to ask you something." I relax my back against the booth's cushion. "I'm Laney Montgomery." I hold my hand out in front of him. He quickly shakes it before saying, "Yeah, I know who you are." Wesley crosses his arms but he seems rather uncomfortable. "I know you're not much of a people person but I-"

"I don't do tutoring," Wesley answers bluntly. "Not a people person, got it." I whisper under my breath. "Look I- my friend Nadine likes your friend Kelvin and she hasn't been feeling so great lately so I promised I'd do this favor for her." Wesley hitches an eyebrow up in amusement. 

"So I'm guessing she wants to get an invitation to his crazy shit party. Same as everybody. Although, you're the first person to come up and ask me. Must be that desperate to get in huh?" A laugh escapes from his mouth. This has to be the first real sign of emotion I've seen from him since this conversation started.

"Yeah, if you don't mind talking to him. I know he's probably a decent guy, at least from what I've seen and heard." I ramble on. Wesley watches me with his unamused green eyes. "He has a tendency to act out of character at times but he is more than a decent person. Well to me anyways." I nod awkwardly.

"I'm guessing your friend over there is the one eyeing us." His eyes flicker over to Nadine who quickly busies herself to a lemon bar she must've just ordered from Connor.

"Yeah, so?" I wait anxiously for his response.

"Fine," he sighs, starting to put his earbud back in. "Do you want an invitation as well?" I shake my head. "College parties aren't my thing. I sort of despise them in a way. Anyways if you need a favor I'm your girl."I smile proudly. "Although, I'm not a genie so nothing weird, alright?"

"Yeah, can you leave me alone? I have a trigonometry test to study for and your talking is distracting me."

"Alright, asshole," I curse standing up. As I'm about to walk away I catch a small glance of an amused smirk.

As soon as I return to behind the counter Nadine bombards me with questions. "So what'd he say?"

"Well all I have to say is that I'm glad you're not interested in Wesley over there because Kelvin was right. The man is certainly not a people person."

"We already knew that, Laney. Did he say that he'd ask?" I nod slowly. "Okay, great. We're going to have a great time! Yes."

"Actually don't get your hopes up if he just gets an invitation for you." Nadine tilts her head confused. "Well, you're coming with me no matter what. Partners till the end remember."

After Nadine finishes her lemon bar, she walks back to our dorm. Sadly, I still have two hours until closing. I hate closing with a passion. Especially since our customers don't do the simple decency of throwing their trash away.

As soon as the last person exits the cafe Billie, the owner locks the door so the remaining workers can close. As I finish mopping down the tile floor, Billie slides over a receipt. 

"What's this, Mrs. Billie?" I sit down on the stool examining the short piece of paper. "A customer wrote you a message, hun." Billie kindly smiles at me before going to the cash register to count the money from today. Turning it over I find a message from Wesley.

"Both of you are in. And yes I made sure to get you invited because of how much you said you loved college parties. You're welcome. :)

-Wesley"

My mouth gapes open a tad, annoyed. No wonder he only has like one friend.

_

_

Chapter posted: 4/04/2022

Hey so how are we feeling about the new characters. Please comment advice or anything! I love seeing everyone's comments!