Chapter 7. What if...

The interrogation room looks like what I'd imagine limbo to look like. Dim and eerie. If limbo was a real place, could Nadine and Kelvin be stuck there?

I never muched believed in any sort of religion but the idea of something powerful protecting your soul in the afterlife sounded like a nice idea to me. If there were an all mighty God or some savior out there, then why the hell do they always sit back and let bad things happen to their world? My eyes trail over to the opposite side of the miserable room where Nadine's parents huddle together in the corner.

They haven't cried since I've joined them in the room which makes me believe that they could be experiencing the same kind of shock I experienced. People go through things like this differently. Mrs. Park definitely cried before this. Her eyes appear red and puffy. She certainly looks more sickly than her husband who stands up straight with a hard and stern expression.

Then I remember Mrs. Park's growing cancer and how Nadine was so worried she'd have to drop out of school so their family could have a better chance to pay for her chemotherapy.

Suddenly it hits me. I'm a complete idiot for not thinking about it earlier after everything but it didn't hit me until I saw Nadine's sickly mother. I can't take my eyes off the frail woman. When her eyes meet mine I'm flashed with a broken smile. I nod at her with the most emotion I can whip up at the moment. It isn't a lot.

Next to me stands Kelvin's parents and their daughter. Kelvin's little sister looks to be only eleven or so. Her tiny arms are wrapped around Wesley's waist with her face buried in his dark sweatshirt. He really wasn't kidding when he said Kelvin's family were practically his own.

I make eye contact with Wesley for a single moment before he quickly looks away.

"What's taking so long? I want to know the real reason behind my daughter's suicide!" Mr. Park screeches at Detective Paylor. "Richard, not here," cries Mrs. Park. "What? I'm just saying what's on everyone's mind right now," lets out an exhausted Mr. Park, brushing a hand through his black, smooth hair.

We all remain silent while Paylor remains still. "Look, I'm a psychologist. A therapist," he corrects himself. "I didn't miss the signs. Trust me. There's gotta be a mistake." It appears that this is Mr. Park's breaking moment. He crumbles to his knees crying in his hands. This has to be the first time I've ever seen Mr. Park look so weak. I honestly wouldn't even call this weakness. He's always so strong and now that his only daughter is gone, he's broken down into millions of pieces. Just like every single heartbroken soul in this hell hole.

"I'm very sorry for your loss Mr. Park," says Paylor with sincerity in her voice as she leans down to pat Nadine's father on the back. "I'm sorry to all of you for your losses. Right now we're just waiting on one last person and then we can get to the bottom of this. I promise." As soon as Paylor says this the heavy doors to the interrogation room creaks open and in walks in the last person I thought I'd see here tonight.

Connor. I'm completely speechless.

Connor is escorted in by an overweight looking officer. "This here is Connor Valensky, the one who found the two bodies." I hear the officer whisper to Detective Paylor. But the whisper is loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.

"You-you're the one who found my boy?" Kelvin's mom stutters. "Yes, ma'am," utters Connor. He still looks shit faced from all the alcohol he's consumed tonight.

His blue eyes keep glancing over at me as if Nadine and Kelvin being dead aren't one of the main problems happening right now. He's thinking about all of the things he said to me and the kiss he forced onto me. I shutter just thinking about it.

Then I realize that I saw him going up the stairs around the same time the coroner said the two supposedly took their lives. Could it be possible that Connor faked their death and murdered them himself? Making it all seem like a suicide.

I'm reaching here because my mind has presented me with too many what-ifs tonight. I'm no detective who investigates crime, I'm just a drained college student who lost her best friend.

After Paylor asks us a few questions, we're led out of that god awful room. Connor, Wesley and I walk side by side silently following Paylor and the officer that brought Connor in. We're at the hospital that lays across the street from the police station.

They're allowing us to see Kelvin and Nadine's bodies before they're put into a freezer. A freezer. My best friend despised the cold.

We always joked about moving somewhere warm after graduation. Somewhere like Hawaii. Would we have been broke college students living in one of the most expensive states to live in the United States? Yes, but at least we'd live somewhere warm and sunny. And we'd be living our best lives. Except that chance is gone.

Mrs. Park decides that it would be best if she waited in the lobby while we went to go see Nadine and Kelvin. She said she might grow sicker if she saw her daughter that had a bullet through her head. I can't say I blame her.

Kelvin's dad leaves their daughter Rory in Mrs. Park care since they feel the same for their daughter. As we enter the creaky, old, dark elevator that smells of fish and alcohol, I begin regretting not staying up with Mrs. Park and Rory. The elevator down feels like a rough trip to the deep pits of hell.

I begin shaking as we get closer and closer to the bottom floor. I shouldn't be here. Neither should Kelvin. Neither should Nadine. I glance over at Wesley who stands besides me. He looks oddly calm but his face is paler than I've ever seen on a person.

I was wrong. Nadine and Kelvin's were. Kelvin's parents leave almost as quickly as they entered. I can't imagine losing a child, especially because of how young he was. Mr. Park, Connor, Wesley, Detective Paylor are the only ones who remain in the room.

Something weird that I noticed about Nadine is the mascara smear under her closed eyes. I would go and say that it could just be from how hot it was at the party but Nadine's mascara streaks went further down her cheeks. The ebony color mascara smudges are from crying.

"Can I, am I allowed to leave now?" Connor pleads to Paylor. Paylor nods and before I know it, Connor is tracking it out of here. "Thank you!" Mr. Park nods toward the medical examiner before turning to me. "If you need anything please don't hesitate to call, alright Laney." I smile with appreciation through soft tears.

Quickly I wipe my tears away before turning back around. "How about we call both of your parents now? I don't want the two of you going home or being alone tonight," says Paylor walking in between Welsey and I. We're both staring down at our best friends.

"Okay, I think you're right. My parents need to be here." I shrug starting to turn to leave.

For some reason I feel like something is wrong. Off even.

My eyes fall to Nadine's wrists looking for our partners in crime bracelet. "What's wrong?" Wesley asks, noticing the fear in my eyes. "Our friendship bracelet, she's not wearing it. It's gold and has the word "crime" on it." Every single jewelry, even her other bracelets are intact. That gold plated bracelet isn't there.

"Maybe it fell off in the room or at the party?" Suggests Wesley before looking down at her wrists to check for me in case I missed it. "We didn't find any of the sort on her. I didn't see anything like that near her in the room but I can send one of my workers over to comb or the scene to see if we possibly missed anything," smiles the medical examiner.
"Thank you Bill. Let me know what you find." Paylor nods before leading Wesley and I out of the worst place in the world. "Don't worry Laney, I'm sure it's somewhere back at Kevin's family's house," reassures Wesley. It feels odd having Wesley this open and kind to me. Shock really transforms you into a whole different person even if it's just for a few hours.

Yet something feels off with that damned necklace being vacant from Nadine's wrist. That necklace never came off. No matter what. And guessing by Wesley's facial expression, he doesn't trust his gut that somethings not off with both our best friends being dead in the same room.

_

_

Chapter posted: 5/06/2022

Hey guys sorry for the longer chapter today. I really wanted to try show more of the reactions of people closer to Nadine and Kelvin. Do y'all think someone's will find Nadine and Laney's friendship bracelet. Let me know what you guys thought of this chapter!