Chapter 5. Partners in Crime Till the Very End

(TW: mention of suicide)

"Wake up, Lanes!" When I open my eyes, I find Nadine leaning over me.Her makeup is compacted with the heaviest makeup she owns. Her party attire is a gorgeous red and black flowing dress with glittering fake jewels.

"What time is it?" I yawn sitting up in bed. The sky is a beautiful cotton candy hue. "We're going to be late to the party, you gotta get dressed." Nadine hoists me out of my uncomfortable bed. Feeling too drained from my morning classes I just stand in the same position watching Nadine go through my clothes.

"Laney, why did I forget you don't have any party clothes." I shrug with an offended pout on my lips. She rummages through my tiny closet in search of the perfect outfit. I don't know how to tell her that I've brought one fancy piece of clothing with me to college this semester. It's hard to put everything in that tiny closet our school gave us.

"Well, we could've gone shopping together if tonight wasn't the first time you were actually having a real conversation with me." Nadine pauses for a second letting my last sentence sink it.

"Nadine, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it," I lie not wanting to put more of a strain on our friendship. "No, you're right. I admit, I've been hella flakey lately. With you and the group. Especially with you. You're my best friend after all." She holds up her left wrist showing me the partner and crime bracelet I gave Nadine for her last birthday.

The word "crime" is written in cursive on her fool's gold plated bracelet. I have the "partner" one.

Georgia actually has a similar one but theirs say Bonnie and Clyde. We all got inspiration from each other. The bracelets form a lifelong bond between all four of us.

I hold my bracelet up, tugging a small smile onto my lips. "Is it Kelvin you're trying to impress?" Nadine's cheery smile appears to falter for a brief moment before returning.

"Yeah, I am. I'm actually thankful for you Laney, because I think I found my soulmate and that's because of you." I roll my eyes jokingly. "After what, three weeks? I suppose I am America's next matchmaker."

"Very true!"

"Hey, do you know if Wesley is going to be there tonight." I'm hesitant to ask this especially because I know how he didn't favor parties too. A part of me was intrigued by him. He was moody and pessimistic yet somehow I was attracted to him.

"Does someone have a crushy crush," smirks Nadine. "No, Wesley, no!" I confirm with a blush. "I could see you two together. You know opposites attract." I shake my head with an obvious grin.

I get dressed in one of Nadine's dresses. It's way too big for me since her height towers mine. Although, after seeing myself in the mirror, I do think I look like a bad bitch. "Total bad bitch," Nadine must've read my mind. "That cat eye is absolutely on fire. You're going to have to teach me how to put on eyeliner after this party." I smile at my makeup. It actually looks perfect tonight.

The party is in a huge rich neighborhood. "Didn't you say this was Kelvin's house that we were going to?" I look out the window of Nadine's car as we pass by houses big enough to be castles. "Yeah, well he said it's his parents." Nadine parks behind about ten cars from Kelvin's house. So, It's going to be a large party.

When I step out into the cool night air, a part of me is apprehensive. It's not like I hate socializing but if or when Nadine decides to leave me to find Kelvin, who will I have to talk to?

"Are Kelvin's parents alright with him throwing this bigass party at their house?" Blaring music can already be heard from where we are and we aren't even inside yet.

"Not sure but he told me that they were on some kind of business trip. Remember his parents own our college or something. Just stick with me." I nod silently looking up at the sky. If I squint hard enough I can see the dark clouds that cover the stars. A storm is coming I think. I don't want to be stuck out here when it does.