Chapter 8 Demonic Cats and a Manilla Folder

It's been exactly four weeks since that terrible night. From then everything went downhill including my friendship with Georgia and Jasmine. My parents and Shannon had thought it'd be best to talk to someone after the two funerals. However I'd been more than content wallowing in my sadness all alone.

Georgia and Jasmine had tried to reach out to me more than five times since the tragic passing of our friend. My therapist even told me that reaching out was a good idea, even if it was just a small outing to the park. I tried that and they ended up lashing at me. Jasmine apologized a day later saying that it wasn't my fault and that she and Georgia were grieving too.

It's been three weeks since that outburst and three weeks since I've spoken to them. Last week was just my first week back. I'd expected to see Wesley in biology this week but it appears he's stuck with online school. A part of me wants to reach out and check on him but another part of me tells me that it's too soon.

The last I saw of him was at Kelvin's funeral when he attempted to read a sweet message about his friend. But when he walked to the podium with trembling hands, his tears and sadness consumed him, so Kelvin's little sister took over for him.

The one thing I hadn't stopped was work. Connor was still there but he talked to me as if nothing had happened. I don't talk about the events that occurred that tragic night and neither does Connor. It's certainly for the best.

Nadine's bracelet was never found at the Davenport's house. Even Detective Paylor went over to search for it but that necklace was as lost as I was.

"How was school today?" Dr. Uma asked with her notepad nestled on her crossed legs. "The same." I shrug looking down at my cold hands. "Do you have any plans for Halloween next week? Perhaps you could try to reach out to Jasmine or Georgia." I just nod thinking about what Wesley could be doing in his free time of school. I've heard he's gone back to living at home with his mother. From what I've heard he's temporarily doing online school now.

"What's on your mind today, Laney? Your mind appears elsewhere," inquires my therapist. "Wesley Hargrove." I whisper softly. "Kelvin's friend?" I nod silently. "I remember you bringing him up at the beginning of our sessions. Is he a friend of yours?" I shrug again. "No, I wouldn't say that but I just feel like he's in a much darker place than me right now," I begin.

"He hasn't even returned to school since that night both of our friends died. It sounds weirder in my head but I have this feeling towards him. This odd connection. Like despite our differences, I feel that because of what happened to both of our friends that night, we share this odd connection that no one can understand. I know Georgia and Jaz were close to Nadine but they weren't close like I was to her." I look down feeling guilty for saying it out loud.

"Do-does that make me a bad person for thinking that?" A tear falls down my cheek. "It certainly does not, Laney. You had a strong bond with your best friend and then you lost her. It's like losing a kindred spirit," says Dr. Uma with a small smile.

"What should I do now?" I sniffle taking the tissue that Dr. Uma offered me. "What do you think your next step should be?" Dr. Uma eyes me waiting for an answer. I say nothing but know she's right.

"Do you think it's too soon?" Dr. Uma leans in to me "Better late than never."

Dr. Uma's session was really mind opening. I move quickly across campus towards my car before I lose all confidence. It takes about a fifteen minute drive to get to where my destination is. Unfortunately, all my adrenaline I had gushing through my veins on campus has vanished.

    Now in front of their house, I decide I can't back down now. My feet rush me all the way up to the apartment complex. I take in a deep breath before knocking loud knocks on the door. The green door swings open almost immediately as I stop knocking.