04: Mach 10

"And the entire evening shift crew is dead." One of my men said with an aggravated tone. 

"Call the night shift and tell them I said to report to the dock. I want crew A and B there." 

He gave another sigh. "Are you sure that's a good idea. This last crew had some pretty beefy guys on it and they still ended up dead." 

"What's your point?" I asked, smacking his hand away from my radio. I turned and raised my brow at him, daring him to touch my radio again. He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. 

"Do you really want to put both of our night crews at risk?" 

I huffed, knowing he was right. Sometimes my pride was too much for even me to handle. I wanted to tell him to do as I said but I'd be down another twenty men if both of my night crews ended up dead. 

"Fine, night crew A then." I pulled the phone away from my ear and clicked the end button. "You know, I could pin all of this on you." I said, speeding up. I saw his exasperated expression in the rear view mirror. 

"Maybe taking some of the blame could humble you. You definitely need it." He mumbled the last part under his breath and leaned his head up against the window. The rest of the ride was silent except for the few times the GPS would give me the directions. 

'Destination on your left.' 

I sighed in relief and pulled down the dirt path on the left. 

"Your warehouse is this far out in the middle of no where?" I asked, slowing down my car to avoid the deep potholes. I started to see an outline of a small shack through the dust clouds. 

"You think I would give you the directions to my actual warehouse? Don't be silly. When I heard that Alejandro was delivering another shipment, I told him to drop it off here instead." He answered and sat up in his seat. "Just pull in right there." I did as he said and parked my car beside the weathered shack. 

"Well? Where is he?" I asked. 

"Relax, I told him to drop it off at 9." 

I looked at the clock on the radio. "It's 7:45." I said in a flat tone. "We have to wait over an hour? Why didn't you say that, I would've waited." 

"I didn't think we were going to go mach 10 down the freeway." I turned and gave him a look. "What? I accounted for traffic." He shrugged his shoulders and reclined the chair all the way back. 

"Great. Now we get to sit here." I huffed in annoyance. 

"At least this gives us a chance to talk-,"

"I don't want to talk to you." I cut him off and turned to look out the window. 

He clicked his tongue. "Fine, pissbaby, be that way." 

"Don't call me a pissbaby."

"I thought you didn't want to talk." He retorted. 

I looked at him, "I don't." 

"Then stop talking." He said, smugness lacing it's way through his voice. He was too cocky for his own good. I didn't respond, I just resumed looking out the window. I had to admit, even though I had to be stuck in a car with this arrogant bastard, at least the view was nice. 

The sun was just starting to touch the bottom of the horizon but it was still peaking out behind the mountains and the few plants started to sway in the breeze. After watching the sunset for what felt like hours, I checked the block and was bummed to see only 15 minutes had gone by. I looked over at him and say him resting with his arm over his eyes.