A Friends End.

"That could have gone better." Kenny said as he paced around the attic. I walked over to a set of couches near the window and plopped down. The attic was slightly hotter than downstairs but that was to be expected. I looked over everyone's faces to see how they were fairing, and it wasn't good. Everyone was nervous and worried, especially Lee who was gonna die soon. Lee kept holding his head as the infection slowly spread through his veins.

"Everyone ok?" Christa asked.

"Lees still bitten." Kenny responded, making Christa glare at him.

"Shut up."

I rolled my eyes and looked around the room, trying to find an exit to this horrendous area of living space. The walls were thin and the area around them seemed corroded. I looked at the walls around us closer to see if I could find anything leading to an escape but most walls led outside.

"We're not going through this window. No latches or releases. Plus it's thirty feet straight down." Omid said. I picked up my head and realized I should be listening to the conversation.

"Anyone have any ideas?" Kenny asked. I looked around the room again and saw that the wall next to us led to a mansion next to us. Seems like a great way to get out of here.

"I bet this guy would." Omid said as he approached the replica head off someone. "He's got a resourceful air about him."

"Knock it off." Christa said. I smiled and shook my head at Omids antics.

"Dickson Kent the third, Indust..." Omid continued on but Christa stopped him again.

"OMID!"

"Christa. Just trying to lighten the fucking tone." I frowned upon hearing that. I don't know what Christa was upset about, but it might have something to do with her baby.

"We need solutions, not stupid jokes." I turned my head away from the group. They seem just a little frustrated. Carley came over and sat by me, smiling down at me before taking a seat.

"You doing ok?" She asked. I sighed and shook my head.

"Not really. I miss Clementine but I don't know where she is. I feel useless right now." I frowned and put a hand to my forehead. I sighed and shook my head. Carley put her hand on my shoulder and gave me a content look.

"It's not your fault, ok? You were...busy when she got taken. Most of us were sleeping when it happened. If you weren't doing anything I know you would've stopped that fucker who took Clem, because that's just how you are. You protect the ones you care about." I smiled gently at what Carley said. I closed my eyes to calm myself for a second before opening them and wrapping my arm around Carley, pulling her in and holding her close.

"I just...I didn't know what being human meant until I met that little girl. She was just so lively and amazing. I always thought humans were disgusting creatures who never cared about each other. Most of my thinking was based on my time in the future, true, but I never thought I'd enjoy another humans company." I spoke softly, sounding guilty as I rubbed Carley's shoulder. Carley listened intently as the arguing behind us picked up.

"What was it like in the future?" Carley asked curiously. I gave Carley a look to say, "where do I start?"

"People fought for food, killed each other for half a loaf of bread. I've seen family's be destroyed by each other. I don't know how to explain it, but even when they killed and pillaged each other they still fought us. They fought us to protect the ones that they would have rather killed themselves. The compassionate hatred I saw...was mind boggling." Carley raised a hand to her mouth in shock as she listened to what I said. She was too shocked to speak as I explained what the future was like.