Prologue

Joscelin's POV
I got home after a shift from the diner that I work at part time as a busgirl/waitress along with being a maid at a hotel. College is expensive even more so when you have no parents or anyone to help you out.

When I got to my apartment complex I decided to check my mail, it was mostly bills and junk mail but there was also a key leading to the communal package mailbox. I curiously opened it and saw a small package inside, I grabbed it and locked both mailboxes back up before headed to my apartment. I opened the bird blue door on the third floor and walked inside before shutting said door. I dumped my keys in a bowl resting on an in-table next to the door, and I plopped all my mail next to it. I kicked off my uniform heels under the table and slipped on my house shoes before hanging up my coat.

I yanked the hair tie out of my hair releasing my dirty blonde locks from their messy bun prison. I tossed the hair tie in the bowl with the keys and plucked up the tiny package before sitting on my couch. I fiddled with it until my fingernails finally removed the tape, and I immediately opened it only to get a note card that read.

Dear Joscelin Dove,
Congratulations! You won the anonymous prize hosted at Rizzoli Bookstore on 1133 Broadway, New York! Thank you for applying and enjoy your prize! Please feel free to apply for more prizes or call (***)-***-**** for any questions or concerns.
Have a lovely day Ms. Dove!

I blinked before remembering that I jokingly applied to win a free prize at my local bookstore when I was buying a book for my English class. I looked in the box again curiously before seeing a smaller black velvet box inside. I dumped it into my hands and opened before gasping. Inside was a replica of the silver band-rainbow moonstone ring that Kristen Stewart's Bella wore in Twilight! I looked back into the box only to see a care card explaining how to clean it and another card explaining the lore surrounding silver and moonstones.

'For two thousand years, Romans used moonstone in jewelry. They linked the stone to the Moon Goddess Diana and believed that wearing moonstone would bring love, wealth, and success.In Asia, there was a myth that every 21 years, blue moonstones were brought in by the tide. In India, it was believed that this gem was good luck and allowed romantic partners to read their future, if they placed the moonstone in their mouth during a full moon. Moonstone is one of India's traditional wedding gifts. They also felt that the stone's luster grew and weakened as the moon transitioned from a full moon to a new moon. Hindu mythology also told that moonstone was made from the moon's ethereal light. Legend portrayed it as a sacred and magical "dream stone" that could bring serene and beautiful dreams at night. Legends have claimed that moonstone could help the wearer have clear visions and prophecies. If someone was continuously angry, the stone would lose its beautiful luster. It was also known as the "Traveler's Stone," as it was believed that it would protect people who wore it while traveling at night.
Current lore revolves around moonstone's ability to help wearers go with the flow, similar to the moon affecting the tides.'

I read about the moonstone before shifting my focus to the silver's lore.

'Silver was considered a mystical element in folklore, and thus its properties become reality in fiction. The metal can do many things, from channel magic, to stopping evil (including warding off or harming vampires and werewolves), making magic mirrors, to turning water into a Healing Potion.'

'Huh? Interesting....' I turn my attention back to the ring and carefully remove it from the box only to see an engraving at the bottom 'My sister, my other half'? 'What? But Bella didn't have a sister, she was an only child! I wonder if it was a mistake?' I try on the ring and it fits perfectly on my left hand index finger. I admired it for a few minutes before deciding that it was time for bed.