War

Lee's POV

I'm walking to the main house with Brie's hand in mine. I see a black Mercedes fly down the driveway and stop in front of the house. Out steps my baby sister in all her glory. I take Brie's medical bag so she can run up to her. Not even a second later she takes off towards Beth. I can't help the smile that comes across my face. I'm just glad finally has another woman that she gets along with. Once I reach them I see the worry written on Beth's face that matches the worry on my wife's.

"You listen and listen good Lee Dutton. I refuse to have you or any of the others hurt tonight. I don't want to be stuck with just Jamie roaming this ranch." Beth says as she hugs my neck and kiss my cheek.

"I promise that I will be as careful as possible. Plus, if anything does happen we have Brie, Derek, Mark, and Meredith with us. That means we have four highly trained surgeons on our side." I say as I pull Brie close to my side.

"I'm hoping I don't have to due surgery on anyone in a pasture." Brie says with a nervous look any her eyes.

"Everyone get ready to head out!" My dad yells out to everyone.

We head towards our horses. I see Brie head towards Mark, Meredith, and her brother Derek. She tells her whose horse it whose.

Brie's POV

Once John yells for everyone to get ready to head out I walk over to Meredith, Mark, and Derek. I show them each their horse that they will be riding tonight.

"Meredith you'll be on Ginger. She is very easy going and she'll take care of you. Derek and Mark you're on Jack and Jamison. They both will be suitable for your skill levels. Just load up your kits on to the saddles and get ready to ride out. If things get sticky there are riffles in your saddle holster." I say before I head over to trigger my horse.

" I say before I head over  to trigger my horse

(This is Ginger Meredith's horse)

(This is Jack and Jamison Derek and Marks horses)

I see Lee has already loaded up my kit. I smile at him and get onto Trigger and trot over to Lee, John, and Rip.

"I see your all ready to head out. I want to give you this satellite phone incase you need to reach me. I will be with Lee and Brie's group up in the helicopter." John says as he hands me the phone.

"Let's hope we don't need any of it tonight." I say as look at him with concern.

"I hope so to sweetheart." John says as gives my hand a squeeze.

"Let's all come back in one piece.'' I say as follow Lee out over to our group heading towards the reservation.

I notice everyone has put on a bullet proof vest. I look over at Lee and he passes me a vest as well. I put it on and tighten it to fit snug. We let the Live Stock Agents on ATV's head out first. We follow behind them. The rides about a two hour ride by the time we all get in place its dark. I notice there a group of six men around a fire where the cows are grazing. I also see Monica's brother has an assault riffle and that makes my blood run cold. We get the clearance to go and that's when we storm them. When we start moving in on them right when John is above them blinding them with spot light. We start in trying to heard cattle back to our side when bullets start flying. I see that Derek, Meredith, and Mark have some cattle going over the hill. Everyone starts to pull out when I see Kacey on the hill trying to run cattle down to Lee and I. I see a flash of silver that's when I hear the first shot. I feel a searing pain in my shoulder and the next thing I know I'm on the ground. I hear more shots and feel another bullet hit me. I hear Lee yelling for me but he sounds far away.

"Brie, please he stay with me. I need you baby." Lee says as he cradles my head in his lap.

"The phone in my saddle bag." I say as weakly.

"I got the phone Lee. I also grabbed her Medical bag." I hear Kacey say as kneels down beside.

I hear a horse racing up from behind us and a voice that sounds like mark and Derek.

Lee's POV

One minute Brie and I are trying to heard the rest of the cows Kacey was running to us and the next she is on the ground with two gun shot wounds. I see it came from Monica's brother that is when I return fire. Once I take him out I run straight to Brie.

"You're going to be okay baby. Mark and Derek a here they've go you." I say as I grab the satellite phone from Kacey.

I dial my dads number as Mark puts oxygen on Brie and Derek starts pack the bullet holes. They try to get the bleeding to stop.

"Brie, what's happened?" I hear my dad say when he picks up.

"Dad, I need you to get back out here now. Brie's been shot we need to get her to a hospital." I say as tears well up in my eyes.

"We turning around now. We will be there in ten minutes." He says before he hangs up.

I've go back over to Brie and help cut her vest off. I also notice another bullet wound in her side.

"She has to be okay. I can't loose her Derek." I say as look over at Mark and Derek.

"She isn't going anywhere. She is a fighter." Kacey says before we are cut off by the helicopter landing.

I pick her up with Derek following behind me. We load up in the helicopter and take off towards Bozeman hospital. That's the longest twenty minute flight of my life. We land and they whisk her away. We are forced to go into the waiting room and sit.
We all sit and wait for hours before her surgeon comes out with blood all over him.

"Lee, can you follow me." Connor says as he motions for me to follow him.

I follow him over to a small room.

"Lee, I did everything I could do but..."