~*• prologue •*~

it was a rainy day in may, tensions were high in timothée's old room. but the tensions were different, she was tense because of her upcoming finals, and he was frustrated because it was getting worse.

he got a c last time he needed her help in math class only because he couldn't focus on his damn book, but her lips as she talked him through it.

now, her hair was slightly damp from the rain as she hovered over his desk, complete attention on his exercise book and he was smitten with her. ever since he met her, nothing changed.

they met when nesrin was a freshman and timothée was still in middle school. she went to his mom's dance classes because she needed dancing for a role and the rest is history.

- i can clearly see you aren't focusing, tim. - she shook her head slightly, looking up from his exercise book to his eyes. - what's the matter?

he couldn't be honest. there was no chance he would be. his eyes wondered to her lips again, that dull cupid's bow and that sickeningly pink tint drove him crazy. he couldn't stop thinking about that kiss they shared six months ago in a school play.

they could have easily done a stage kiss for all that it took, but it needed to look real. they don't just cast people to play in the lincoln centre to place thumbs over their lips. and... he also wanted to kiss her.

so when the time for the kiss came, with no practice at all, he stop just mere inches away from her face. that was a mistake, he was supposed to get her character off guard with it. but she wasn't letting go of that play easily, so went ahead and kissed him, with force and tongue, as he was supposed to do to her.

ever since then, he wasn't the same when it came to her. timothée had hope that maybe she liked him too. but now, that he faced her curious eyes and soft features... he had to take the first step. otherwise, she will be graduating in no time and he would be soon forever torn away from her.

- i, uhm... - his voice was weak, hesitant.

- yes? - she was totally clueless, he could see that now.

- i like you. - he could feel his face heating up, practically burning by the point she answered.

- aw, i like you too, tim. - her smile seemed honest, but there was something in her eyes which told him she was just playing it off like she didn't get it.

- no, i... i really-really like you nes, truly. i've had this thing in back of my mind since we met, and now you'll be leaving soon and i just... can't ignore it any longer.

- oh, timmy. i'm not sure what to say.

- i just want a yes or no, and that is enough for me. would you want to go out with me? - he wasn't thinking at this point, his mind was totally blank.

- i can't. - her voice was full of sadness and pity. - sorry timmy, i really can't lead you on.

- so you... don't feel the same? - his voice was barely above a whisper, but she clearly understood what he said.

- i can only see you as a friend. i can't say i haven't noticed how you behaved with me, compared to other girls, but i tried to take it as a sign of trust. - she explained, visibly awkward.

- that's fair. - he nodded. he was lying, it didn't feel fair. not at all. he could feel the hollow in his chest growing with each of her words.

- i think you are a great guy, timmy. you are one of the sweetest and most genuine guys i've ever met, and i don't want you to feed into false hopes.

- i can't keep going like this. - he shook his head, breaking the disguise. - i want you to leave, nesrin.

- okay, i'll... get going. - she nodded and reached for her bag. she stopped before closing the door behind her. - goodbye.

her voice was audibly shaken up and frustrated, but her state was nothing compared how hard it was all crumbling upon timothée. as he heard the front door closing loudly, he burst out crying.

he didn't even try to stop it, he let his whole body shake with the force of his tears finding a way out, but he kept silent. he knew his mom would be coming in at most a minute, but he had no control of it now.

she entered his room, confused by nesrin leaving so suddenly. as soon as nicole saw his son with his arm over his head, crying, she didn't ask anything. she sat down in the chair nesrin sat only minutes ago and hugged timothée.

he let himself go once again, sobbing into his mother's soft and caring embrace. she must have known all along, and that was breaking him even more. it was obvious.

he was ashamed, as any teenage boy would be, so he began to avoid her. and as soon as she reached out before her graduation, he ignored her.

with the ignorance, she couldn't tell him where she was going to university, or when she was leaving. so she was gone.

as soon as she came back to the city with a degree, ready to reconnect with all of her old friends, he was long gone. to la.

as time hit 2017 and she got her job as a theatre actress... she knew damn well why timothée was gone and unable to be contacted. it all worked out for him.

she was always certain that he once would succeed better than anyone in his year, but what he already achieved by that time was more than she could ever think about.