Chapter 4 - Jealousy

The bell tolls through the city as a sign that everyone can withdraw and the gate is closed. Mikasa seemed to come back at this moment and I stood up, stretching my shoulders.

"That's it, we're done. Now scale the wall." The soldier spoke, and I was about to follow him.

"I should help the vanguard withdraw, sir." Mikasa suddenly spoke, and the soldier and I looked at her like she was crazy.

"Ackerman waIT-" she had shot off before he could finish.

"Damn it all." I huffed. "I'm going to go make sure she doesn't get herself killed. Please stay safe sir." I scowl and follow Mikasa. I was so going to throw her off wall rose when this was all over.

Admittedly, I wanted to go. Not for her, but to make sure Bertholdt and Reiner were okay and no suspicions were rose about them.

I didn't want to admit it, but I needed those two. I'd commit genocide alone if I had to for them.

If I had to, even without a titan form, even without my quirk, even without magic, I would destroy everything within the walls all alone to protect Reiner and Bertholdt.

I landed beside Mikasa, but saw the titan-swarmed headquarters before she did. In fact I pointed it out to her.

Would either of them transform to protect themselves if it came to it? Or would they let themselves be ate to protect their secret? I had no clue and that scared me.

And if soldiers couldn't get gas, they couldn't get over the walls. It'd be a death sentence trying, you'd either fall to your death or get grabbed by a titan at the base.

Mikasa and I landed on the rooftop, Mikasa immediately jogging to Annie and shouting her name while I sprinted to Reiner and Bertholdt, tackling both of them (I was lucky they heard Mikasa call for Annie, because then they saw me and could brace themselves before I could accidentally tackle them off the roof). They both embraced me back for a moment before I pulled away and smiled at them.

"Thank god you're both safe" I smiled, before listening to Mikasa talk to Annie.

"We found Armin, he's over there" Reiner pointed his thumb towards Armin, who looked absolutely traumatized. I swore under my breath, guessing what had happened.

Mikasa jogged over to Armin while I abruptly hugged onto Bertholdt, feeling him hug me back close. I was so glad everything had gone well so far.

I listened to Armin speak the names before saying that they'd fought valiantly. His words confirmed that they were dead.

I thought back to the few times I'd definitely seen small bits of steam from Eren's injuries.

Unless a titan got real lucky, that boy wasn't dead.

I listened to the other graduated cadets speak fearfully, and I pulled out of Bertholdt's arms. Mikasa made an assessment and Marco confirmed.

"I guess so, sure, but there's too many out there, even with you and Shigaku on point." Marco was nervous as he spoke, and I let out a small scoff as I walked towards Mikasa and unsheathed my blades.

"Mikasaaa, you've got so much damn stamina. If I oversleep tomorrow, you're taking my punishment." I hum playfully, checking my swords to make sure they were sharp. They'd damn need to be if I wanted to leave this near suicide mission alive. Mikasa looked at me with a grateful look before turning back to Marco.

"We can do it." Mikasa unsheathed her swords as well. "We're strong. Real strong. None of you come close, you hear me?" I snorted at that statement, turning my head to the side for a moment before turning back and letting out one last amused huff. At least I was included on the strong side of this little speech.