Chapter 8 - Sawney, Beane, and new Recruits

The following day, I was shocked to wake up being commanded from outside my door that we needed to hurry to the headquarters in Trost.

I was up and moving in seconds, ignoring the blood rush to my head as I got dressed and fumbled on my straps. I was running outside and pulling on my boots at the same time, panting and eyes still fuzzy with sleep.

Once we were on horseback, I slumped against my horse's neck and let myself nearly fall back asleep so I could 'wake up' properly. My horse, a black stallion who I could tell had a lot more speed in him than he showed, seemingly knew what I was doing and adjusted his gallop. In return, I pet his neck as I let myself become fully conscious.

I didn't blame Hanji for their panic, and I sorrowed for them as we stood in the headquarters as Hanji cried out for 'Sawney' and 'Beane', a four-meter and seven-meter respectively.

I frowned as I stood beside Eren, jolting at the sudden voice of Erwin and his hand on my shoulder. His other hand was on Eren's and it was clear he was talking to the brunnette so I stayed quiet and continued watching Hanji.

Before he walked away, he turned to me and practically read the look in my eyes. "Go comfort them." He spoke, and I immediately broke away and hurried to Hanji's side, pulling them into a tight hug. Letting someone grieve was one thing. Judging them and just watching as they cried was another. And these soldiers were doing the latter.

I hold Hanji close and do my best to comfort them. These weren't just experiments to Hanji, they were close to the two titans. And I made it a small point to prove that I knew that while I comforted Hanji.

-

Nothing turned up with the inspections, according to Petra who I rode beside. Apparently, for whatever reason, I would be with them during the recruitment ceremony.

'With them' was a bit of an understatement as I headed onto the stage with Mike and we held the two sides of a scroll showing a travel plan from Calaneth to Shiganshina since Trost's gate was now blocked and not able to just open and close.

While Erwin continued, Mike and I re-rolled the travel plan and walked silently back off the stage.

I noticed Petra tense at the mention of the percent of deaths they'd faced, and I quietly placed my hand on he shoulder and my thumb rubbed a small area to comfort her while I continued looking forward with no expression.

She glanced at me for a moment before mirroring the stance, but my hand didn't drop just yet. The entire topic was a depressing one, and I wanted to show that I was there for her.

I watch as nearly all the cadets left, but the nearly twenty faces I saw there were the most capable people I knew. We may not have numbers, but we damn well had strength and courage.

"I ask you, if you were ordered to die, could you do it?" Erwin spoke full of authority.

"We don't want to die! Sir!" A voice yelled out, earning a smile from the commander.

"Of course. Let us hope that you don't then. You who stayed, you are now one of us. Allow me to welcome you to the scout regiment. This is a genuine salute soldiers! Together we give our hearts!"

I smiled at my friends and fellow graduates saluting back at their new commander.

With these people, we'd finally be able to reclaim Shiganshina.

The thought caught me off guard but I didn't show it, my eyes trailing to Bertholdt and Reiner.

What would happen from here on out?

Would they play Eldian and just let the scouts recover everything they did five years ago? Would they be considered at fault for that? If or when Marleians come, what side would they assume Bertholdt and Reiner were on?

My thoughts ran fast, and I didn't even realize I had a look of fear on my face until Mike comforted me the same way I had for Petra.

I glanced up at him, and he frowned slightly as he looked at me. I could almost tell what he was thinking, that I smelled putridly of fear.

He even went as far as to hug me while Erwin continued speaking, me doing everything I could to remain silent as I broke down mentally. I could tell that Mike could tell as well.

I knew from day one when Reiner told me of their mission that this would be a complicated uphill battle. They tried to protect me from it but they could only keep me so far.

And now we stood yet again against another massive challenge and I didn't have a single insight into what the two of them had planned for this.

-

While the other new scouts we subject to memorizing the formation and taking the 'rookie' spot between the wagon defense squad and the scout support squad, I was placed with the special ops squad and Eren in the center back.

I felt uneasy about this all but couldn't quite pin it until Gunther spoke up and interrupted Oulu.

"It's entirely feasible that this operation has an alternate goal. And yet, the commander has decided that it's best to withhold it from the rank and file. If that's the case, leaving and coming back is all we need to concern ourselves with. Have faith in the commander." Gunther spoke, and I nodded as I walked closer with my horse in tow.

"I was thinking that too. It's not like Maria is completely uncharted territory that we can't basically recreate within Rose, so doing a test run out there seemed like an unnecessary risk." I spoke, smiling at Gunther who nodded back as we acknowledged each others realization. "But I do agree, Eren you and I both saw how strategic he was in speaking with the premiere and, from what I've heard, he's nothing short of a genius on the field. Like Gunther said, have faith." I smile, ruffling Eren's hair.

"I will." Eren confirmed, and we returned to base.

I smiled as I walked with Nes and another scout, the scout and I each with a stack of green scout cloaks. Nes shouted for everyone's attention and, once he had it, we handed out the cloaks and I watched my fellow graduates and new scouts put them on.

"May I be excused, sir? There are some people I'd like to talk to." I requested from Nes, and he gave me a grin and a go ahead.

I didn't hesitate to run and tackle Betholdt and Reiner, a grin on my face. (I was a little petty and was glad Annie didn't become a scout).

I had on my own cloak, and walked with them all to a storage space to catch up. I was practically attached to Bertholdt and Reiner, and I sat on a crate and was basically snuggled into Reiner's side as he leaned against the very edge of a crate taller than where I sat and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

I glared at Jean as he spoke bad of Eren. Bringing up Marco was the line for me and Mikasa, both of us tell him to stop almost simultaneously. After, I let he speak and just silently glared at Jean. His grieving gave him no right to shit-talk Eren for not having control yet.

"This is it! The day has come for humanity to take another step forward! Now lets show those titans exactly what we're made of!!"