Echoes of the past pt2

Hunter POV
A few hours earlier

I'm walking through the halls of the castle, I pass by Zoe's chamber and see her floating there, a few more guards more than usual. I look in curiously but before I get the chance to investigate I'm approached by Darius.
"Ah Hunter, checking on your little friend?"

"Ah Darius." I say to him, tearing myself away from looking towards the room.
"Have you checked on Alador's creations?" I ask him and he crinkles his nose with clear annoyance which gives me satisfaction.

"I still don't understand what the Emperor wants with that second rate hack." The abomination master says with disgust.

"Darius!" I say with exaggeration.
"Are you questioning the Emperor's will?"

"Don't get any funny ideas boy." Darius sneered as he narrowed his eyes.
"You may be Belos' nephew but you're still nothing but an overzealous child."

With that Darius walks away and I'm left a bubbling annoyance in my stomach, but I push it down and continue my trip, (though I swear it felt like he looked back again), stopping in at Odalia's quarters. The green haired woman is sitting over her crystal ball as usual, her expression strained with concentration. She lets out a large sigh as the orb flickered and lost it's purple colour.

"Still not having much success I see." I say as I approach her, causing her to jump with surprise.

"Ah Golden guard she says as she fixes her hair and tried to fix the crumpled state of her outfit. "I did not hear you come in I apologise."

"Save the apologies." I say to her.
"Why is it that after all this time you are still no more successful at gaining us a visual on the human and her merry band of misfits?"

"It is more complicated than that sir." Odalia defends.

"If this is a mere excuse Odalia." I say disapprovingly.

"It seems that the Clawthorne sisters have cast some kind of magical shimmer around their residence which is making it much harder to observe them using my oracle magic." Odalia explains.
"It's the same kind of shimmer that stops observation on hexside."

"Well you better figure it out soon." I say to her as I leave the room. Soon after I'm approached by one of the coven guards.
"What is it Steve?" I ask.

"The Emperor requests your presence sir." Steve explains.

I gulp out of nervousness as anxiety flows through me as it always does when I have to face my uncle. He is an intimidating man and even though he is family he still expects a high standard of me.
"Thank you Steve." I say to him as I make my way to the Emeperor's throne room. As I enter I see Kikimora handing Belos a palisman which he cuts with his finger as the green mist enters the eye holes in his mask.

"Ah Hunter." Belos says as I enter the room. "Come forward."

I approach my uncle nervously as I try and calm my nerves.
"What can I help you with your worthiness?"

The emperor gestures for Kikimora to leave, which she does but she gives me a look of hatred as she does so.
"Take your mask of child, we are family." Belos says and I comply.

"Do you have a task for me sir?" I ask him but he raises a hand for me to stop and I do.

"A few nights ago Terra was patrolling the castle halls and she noticed something strange." Belos begins.
"Zoe was absent from her tank, which I find very strange as I had not authorised it." I feel sweat begin running down my forehead as I realise me and Zoe had not been as sneaky as we thought.
"You wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?"