Celebration

100 years later

Bella’s POV

            There are some days where I wish I could sleep. Just to get lost in dreams and escape reality is an ability humans take for granted; I can never indulge in that. I miss it and wish I still could crawl under a blanket and just lay there. I needed that right now, to reduce my stress levels. I needed some serenity, some relaxation.

            I haven’t been able to do that for the past century.

            I stared at the mirror with soft eyes and wondered how much I’ve changed. Physically, the last time I changed was my nineteenth birthday, but emotionally I feel something changes every day. I’ve become less of the person I was born to be every minute, every second. I’m strangely fine with that. When I think of who I was as a human, I recognize all of my faults. I was weak; I was vulnerable. Now I have the strength of steel. I’m okay now.

            The dress Heidi had laid out for me fit my body perfectly. It wasn’t too tight; it just hugged in the right places. It was a floor length gown in a shade of red that was a little bit darker than my eyes. The color contrasted with my body, seeming more dramatic because of my pale skin and dark hair. The silky fabric was a rich satin, made of what I was sure was only the finest of its kind. The torso of the dress was fitted and decorated lightly with crystal beading. It was floor length, only showing my black ballet flats when I walked a certain way. Because of the dress, I left my face free of makeup, not that I needed it anyways. My hair was lying in simple curls that reached my mid back and covered my shoulders. Adding the choker-ribbon that carried my family’s crest and the ring Evie and Noah had given me decades ago, I was ready.

            I was beautiful, as usual.

            Tonight was a party; my and my children’s party, to be exact. Tonight was my human and vampire birthday, as was it Evie’s and Noah’s. They were a hundred years old. I was a hundred and nineteen. The three of us were frozen in teenage beauty, never aging, always gorgeous. That was a part of the vampire life style, anyways. That and brutal strength… combined, we were the perfect killers with ultimate senses.

            Nothing would stand in our way.

            I left my room with a bag in hand: presents for Evie and Noah. They had told me earlier, as per every year, they wanted nothing for their birthdays. I wouldn’t have it, though. They were my children so I had the right to give them gifts, whether they liked it or not. It was the same for the rest of the guard; as much as the twins complained, they always got their presents.

            Unfortunately, it was the same for me.

            At the end of the corridor, Noah and Evie talked in quiet whispers. Noah was dressed in a black suit paired with a black tie and a red shirt that was similar to my dress. On his wrist was our crest welded into a metal band and in his suit pocket was a red carnation flower. Evie’s dress was similar to mine but in a different shade of red and less intricate beading. She too adorned our crest on a long silver chain and a carnation weaved into her long hair.