Surprise

Chapter Sixteen

Bella’s POV

I expected a nice relaxing Friday night when I arrived back home from talking with Rosalie. Instead, I was greeted by the sight of my family gearing up for an outing. Heidi was nowhere to be seen; the same was said for Demetri.

“What’s going on?” I asked as I got out of my car. I left it running out front of the house and then ran to my children. Evie looked worried and hugged me while Felix and Noah took everything to my car. I tossed the keys to Felix for his use.

“Heidi called; she and Demetri were hunting and they intervened on an attack. There were at least two of them. Demetri is tracking them now but one of them is fast, almost too fast for Heidi to keep up with,” she explained as she pulled away from me and helped her brother. I nodded and went back to my car, dumping everything I didn’t need out before replacing it with my own tools.

“Address and which direction?”

“They were spotted right outside of Forks, west side heading north. Heidi said their going in direction toward the high school,” Noah explained as he and Felix shut the trunk. While they finished up in the garage, I changed my books into the extra pair of sneakers I learned to keep with me and then shed my sweater for a t-shirt.

“Victim?”

“Alive, just barely. Heidi said it was a teenager, male, from Forks, about sixteen to eighteen years,” Noah answered. I told him and Evie to head up straight for the victim and see what they could do with them. After getting a reassuring glance from my children, I got back into the driver’s seat and Felix got into the passenger side. I pulled away from the house before the door was even closed and then pulled out my cell phone before tossing it to my companion.

“Call Heidi, see where she’s at,” I barked. Felix did as he was told and I listened intently to what Heidi was saying. When I heard her directions, I changed lanes and sped around anything that was blocking my line.

“How far ahead of you are they?” Felix questioned.

About a mile back; I just saw you two pass on the road so there’s your heads up. Tell Bells that if she floor’s it, you might be able to cut them off.

“What am I dealing with, Heidi?” I asked aloud as I pressed down on the pedal harder, watching as my speedometer rose. I could feel the exhilaration of the car on the slick road and prayed to God nothing went wrong.

Male and female, both fairly old, probably about a few decades. The male is fast but the female is a fighter. She has good reflexes while the male evades. The only way you’re going to stop him is if you physically cut him off.

“Are they mates?”

Yeah and the female is very territorial. Watch your back, Bells.

Right as she said that, I spotted two blurs deep in the trees. I hissed and told Felix to hang up. “Grab the wheel and keep the speed up,” I muttered. Once his hands were on the wheel, I climbed over him and then rolled down the window. “When I tackle the first, stop the car and make sure the female doesn’t knock me over. Restrain, do not kill.”

“And if that isn’t an option?” Felix asked in a growl.

“Rip off every limb except her head. We need answers and these two might give them to us,” I answered. He nodded once and I slid my upper body out of the window, peering over the hood of the car for sight. We were about neck and neck with the rogues; just slow close to success. “A little bit faster, Felix!”

“I don’t know how much more I can go with your car, Bella!” he hissed.

“Just try!”

When we had about ten feet ahead, I went for it. Throwing my shield up across the woods in direct line of them, I climbed out of the window, launched myself off the roof of my car, and went straight for the male. The female slammed into the shield and was knocked onto the ground but the male flew at me; I don’t think he saw me though until I wrapped my arms around his neck and slammed him into the ground.