Recognition

Leave it to my family to start a fight at seven in the morning. I mean really, who else does that besides my kids?  No one I have ever encountered. 

“But my car is way cooler than yours! Yours will stick out because it’s so freaking bright!” Noah growled at Evie. Evie, my usually humble and sweet little girl, looked like she wanted to tear her twin’s throat out. 

“Ha, you have got to be joking. Every head will turn when they see you pull up in your car. At least mine is sensible to see in the US; the only people who have the same car as you are old rock stars from Hollywood and London!” She argued, nudging her brother roughly in the shoulder. 

“Oh please-”

That was my cue to step in. I got between them, easily pushing them away from each other. They growled at one another and I swear within the next microsecond, Noah would have gone for her eyes. “Enough, both of you,” I hissed. I could hear my Heidi and the guys in the house, laughing quietly. 

“Mom, she won’t give in,” Noah whined. 

“That’s because she has a point. Though I’ll admit we can’t really blend in with any of our cars, yours is the flashiest Noah. You’ll attract attention like gnats to honey. At least with a Lamborghini… a lot of west coast people have cars like that. About an hour or two down south, you run into all the vineyards and the owners have cars like that. Not too many have a Hennessey, sweetie.”

Noah muttered under his breath how it wasn’t fair. I felt his pain; I would be upset if I couldn’t drive my baby too. 

“I’ll make you a deal, Noah,” I murmured. “If you let Evie take her car, every Friday you can take yours to school separately. And when you two go into the cities, you’ll take your car. How does that sound?”

I could tell he still was unhappy but he nodded. I smiled gently and kissed his cheek. “Now come on, we can’t be late. Believe me, high school is a bitch if you are,” I murmured and pulled my keys from my jacket pocket. 

“Who am I riding with?” Noah asked as I unlocked my car. I shrugged as I put my bag in the back before closing the door and getting in the driver’s seat. 

“Whoever you want to, Noah. Just pick,” I answered as I started up my car. The engine purred to life, greeting me after a day of no use. “I missed you,” I whispered as I pat the dashboard lovingly. 

Noah decided to ride with his sister, leaving me and my car alone. I was okay with that; it meant I could listen to whatever I wanted without having my son tell me what to turn on or off. I pulled out of the garage first and beeped my horn three times to tell the others we were leaving. I heard them shout their farewells and behind me, Evie pulled out. 

I turned on the radio and set the volume high, letting the alternative music block out my thoughts. I started to sing along when I got out onto the main roads and then I was off with my children following behind. I didn’t speed; I took my time driving. I didn’t want to get there too early and anyway, I was in no hurry to get there. 

Soon though, my ride came to an end when I approached a wooden sign, claiming the grounds as property of Forks High School.  I pulled into the parking lot, already full of students waiting for the morning bell, and watched as everyone turned their heads to follow my entrance. Evie pulled up only seconds later and parked next to me when I found two spots together. I sighed, took a deep breath, and cut the engine. 

I repeated what I had done a hundred and two years ago, where it all began, and got out of the car with my head down. As I got my bag out of the back, I could hear my father taunting me from wherever he was. I could hear all of them laughing at how fate decided to be a bitch. I could imagine their words completely. Welcome back to hell, Bells.