Dance Dance

For the first time in my existence, I was awestruck by humans.

Granted, I haven't been alive all that long compared to some of my peers, and that's not to say I haven't been intrigued or amazed by them... but awe was different. Awe left me speechless.

Their bodies moved like flickering flames in waves, yet each to their own distinctive rhythm. Their skin glistened under the strobe lights that pulsed to the deafening music, like seas of colorful lightning in the dark. And, despite how loud the music was, I could hear the thunder of their hearts, in sync and rich. Tempting.

"Even with the drugs they smell wonderful," Jasper whispered off to my left. I squeezed his fingers in acknowledgement. He must have smelt my thirst; it was one of the many issues of having to come back here. Animals only made a human smell that much more appealing.

We swayed through the crowds, the humans parting ways for us almost instinctively. Each of their expressions made me grin – fear, amazement, lust. It was the perfect feeding grounds for all of the rogues; drugged up humans completely in love with first sight, willingly throwing themselves at their feet with the guise of never realizing they were in the paws of a monster. And if they survived by some misfortune, they could blame the high for what they saw.

Even I was impressed.

I could hear the flutter of my children's heartbeats off to my right. Despite the noise, my body could still pick them out, as if it was tuned in to their presence. With a tilt of my head, I could see them in my peripheral vision. Noah was surrounded by a throng of women, each vying for the slightest second of his attention. He was the least bit interested, his posture hardly relaxed and his eyes sharp. Evie, on the other hand...

Well. It was certainly not what I expected.

David was pressed up behind her, his arms draped languidly around her waist and his face burned in her neck to the point of hiding those pretty ruby eyes. Evie had her head thrown back on his shoulder, her arms swaying and jerking to match the grind of her hips and the notes of the current song. It didn't surprise me to see men crowding her but they kept their distance with my newborn there.

"Damn," I muttered, the word coming out as a silent breath. Jasper squeezed my hand back and I felt his curiously bleed into my own shocked emotions. I jerked my head once, a twitch to any human paying attention but a shake of my head to my partner. Later, it said. Later indeed. I filed that image of my daughter away for a distant time and reminded myself that she needed to be relaxed to keep a glamour up from a distance. Evie never did work well under pressure; it was one of her few faults.

But still... how did I miss the signs she had found her mate?

I could feel Jasper's hesitation and refocused. It was easy, even if I was a mother before a vampire always, and I saw what had his guard up. Across the dancefloor, propped up on stairs leading to a roped off balcony, was another vampire. Young, vibrant eyed, licking his lips and his fingers with a long viper-like tongue. He had just fed.

He hadn't spotted us yet so we had time. I spun on my heel and wrapped my arms around Jasper's neck, keeping him close as I started to dance. My body feel into a rhythm and his soon followed.

Was I imagining sparks when his hands gripped my waist?

He must have felt the same because his eyes widened. It was odd seeing him with red eyes; Evie's glamour even affected me, despite that I was under it as well. They were bright, brighter than most I had seen, and I could see my own reflection in them. It was almost hypnotizing.

"He saw us," he mouthed, his hands sliding around and gripping me closer to grind against him. Had I been human, the sensual act would have me blushing like mad but I was able to hide from that now. What I couldn't hide from was my embarrassment. I knew he could feel that, especially by how he pushed me merely centimeters away. I wouldn't allow it though; we were portraying mates, vampire mates at that, and had to play the part. So, when I could sense the other vampire heading toward us, I turned back around, and pressed my back into his chest... my ass into his hips.