Arrival

“We will miss you,” Jane said as she patted my shoulder. Today was one of the few days Jane dressed like a human and stepped out of Volterra with means other than business. She had sunglasses on to hide her eyes but other than that, she blended in well as a child.

            “We’ll miss you too, Jane; all of you,” I replied. Evie nodded her head eagerly and stepped forward, enveloping Jane in a hug. Out of my family, she was the most physically affectionate.

            “But we’ll be home soon; Rogues don’t take that long to get rid of,” Noah added. Jane nodded and then waved to Heidi. Heidi looked bored but waved back.

            “Cheer up kid; now that Bella’s out of the picture for a bit of time, you’ll be top dog again,” Heidi teased. Jane cracked a rare smile before wishing us off when the announcement came over air that our plane was boarding.

            “Alright gang, to Forks, Washington it is!” Noah cheered. I grabbed Evie’s hand and followed her brother onto the plane with Heidi following behind. Demetri and Felix had taken an earlier flight to make sure all of the deliveries, including our cars, made it there undamaged.

            “Sadly,” I muttered softly to myself. Evie squeezed my hand encouragingly with a soft smile. I could read the request in her eyes; she wanted me to try and be positive. I nodded once though I wasn’t sure if I could follow through with this. It would be hard going back. Hard and painful.

            The last time I was in Forks was for Charlie’s funeral. I had buried him yet no one knew it was me because to them, Bella Swan was long dead from a tragic accident. The whole time, Evie had kept me under her charm, disguised as one of Jacob’s cousins. I had watched my elderly mother cry, not only because her first love was gone but because Charlie was buried next to a plate that showed my own demise.

            The only ones who knew I was there were the wolves. And I hadn’t seen them since.

            “Do you think Jake and the boys will still be young looking?” Noah asked as we took our seats in the private section of the plane. Evie sat next to her brother while Heidi sat next to me.

I shrugged in response. “Depends on how long vampires have been there. They stop aging when their near La Push. For all we know, the pack could be a new generation and Jake’s one of the elders.”

“Didn’t the rest pass?” Heidi asked. I was sort of shocked by her interest. She hated the wolves almost as much as Caius did.

“I’m pretty sure. Billy and Sue passed on soon after Charlie. The others were older than them so I’m pretty sure they’re dead. I wonder if Sam’s still Alpha though,” Evie murmured. She had grown close to the boys when I let them visit, especially Sam. They were her adopted older brothers.

“Well, we will find out soon enough,” Noah murmured as he settled into his seat. None of us bothered to put on our seatbelts as the plane went to take off. The jolt barely affected us.