Chapter 2 (Not mine.)

A/N: Okay second part. From the end of this chapter on the storyline, writing and plot belongs to me. Enjoy! 

The operation takes a few hours but it goes—smoothly, all things considered. Chiyo's healing quirk isn't particularly useful in this case, but UA is set with the most recent medical technology, and so they...manage.

Rin insists on assisting with the procedure. They deny at first but she ends up being..surprisingly useful. The supposed interdimensionals have different physiology than normal people. Most notably, a vital system thread throughout the body that carries some sort of energy that's apparently vital for the livelihood of the interdimensionals.

Rin also has a healing ability exponentially more potent and flexible than Chiyo's recovery quirk. Despite, apparently, being a novice medic.

Aizawa, meanwhile, is relatively useless. So he just ends up settling in the infirmary, where the blonde has been laid into a bed and Kakashi is sitting in a plastic chair, properly treating to his various (less serious) injuries and sharpening his blades.

Rin stumbles in some hours later.

"Obito's okay," she says, directing her words at Kakashi. The boy nods sharply, and it's well-masked, but Aizawa can see the relied, the sag of his shoulders, the looser posture. "Konoha's medics will have to handle the rest once Sensei recovers enough to get us back. But he's okay for now, the best he can be without good chakra healing."

Most of that Aizawa doesn't understand. What he does understand, though, is that Rin looks positively exhausted, and kind of faint. He quietly gives her his chair and gets her a lukewarm cup of water.

She takes the cup gingery and pauses just a moment, sniffs just a bit, before taking a sip. Aizawa doesn't comment.

"Thank you," she says, sounding dead on her feet, but also honestly thankful. "I—don't know what we'd've done if you were less kind."

"It's common decency," he says.

Rin shakes her head. "Not at all. You're strangers. Even most civilians wouldn't be so nice."

"I'm a hero," Aizawa says, "it's my job."

Both Kakashi and Rin give him weird looks.

"Hero..?" Rin asks.

Kakashi shifts a bit, eyes flicking over the room again. "You still haven't explained what kind of place this is. You're all dreadfully inefficient, but surprisingly advanced."

Aizawa feels his face twitch a bit.

"Japan, this country, is a large island nation. We use a hero system. Heroes are our domestic police force and we don't have a military for foreign affairs."

Rin chokes at that, coughing up a lungful of water. "W-what..?"

"You don't have a military for foreign affairs?" Kakashi asks, and looks at him like he's incredibly stupid. "How are you not dead yet?"

"Japan hasn't gone to war in almost two hundred years," Aizawa says.

Now Kakashi just looking at him like he's lying. "Why not?"

"Why would we?" The more they talk, the less he wants to know. They are children. Children. The worst part is that he feels like he's talking to adults. To someone older than him. It's not flattering. 

"You're a member of the domestic military?" Kakashi asks, squinting a little. "Your skills are maybe Chūnin level. And your attitude is bad as an academy student."

Aizawa feels a little insulted. "I'm a pro hero. This has been my job for almost a decade now." 

"Hero is a stupid word for someone like you" Kakashi clarifies. That brat.