Chapter 8

A/N: I proofread this only once and very quickly so please feel free to point out any errors.
Anyway, enjoyyy <3

Tsukauchi Naomasa shows up a half an hour later with a hot coffee for Aizawa and a polite but not intrusive smile for everyone else in the room. Right now, that's just Minato and his team, but the next moment—before Naomasa even gets the chance to set his folder down, there's a knock on the door and Nedzu strides in.

Aizawa does not choke on his coffee at all—or at least masks it very well with a cough. Nedzu appearing out of nowhere is no irregular occurrence at UA, but just. This. Once...can't he just call?( –they got these walkie-talkies for a reason, after all!) Aizawa sees Minato frowning, Rin straightening (not in the politely interested way) and Kakashi tensing against the wall, down-right glowering.

From the second Nedzu enters, the temperature drops—not that the headmaster seems to care.

Aizawa takes a long, long sip of his coffee and nuzzles deeper into his seat. He knows this has already started going to shit.

A cough. Aizawa raises his eyes from the swirling depths of coffee in his cup and glances at Naomasa. Naomasa, who nods towards the door meaningfully and then it dawns Aizawa and oh fuck no!
Nedzu is wearing his little bear-rat sized coat over his usual attire and Naomasa hasn't made an attempt to settle into a seat and they cannot be for real.

"Ahem," Naomasa clears his throat to gain Minato's attention, even though the blond man has been seizing him up since the moment he entered. "I apologize for the inconvenience, Namikaze-san, my name is Tsukauchi Naomasa and I'm the leading investigator in your...case."

Aizawa silently acknowledges that nowadays, Naomasa seems to be leading investigator in almost every case the police come across. There're not enough officers—not enough competent, genuine officers that really care about the city and its people, instead of slacking off in a 'The heroes will take care of it anyway'-manner. Because in six out of ten times, the heroes will not take care of it.

Smaller, pettier crimes are becoming more frequent every year, rising even faster than the numbers of honest workers in government authorities dwindle. Crimes that are simply not made for your regular spotlight-dependant hero.

Aizawa raises a judgemental brow even though his annoyance with the situation is probably misdirected (Naomasa is an honest-to-God officer, with a good heart and tact and he's probably perfect for this so Aizawa won't complain) while Naomasa keeps explaining:

"I assure you that this is strictly for protocol, and we do not intend to harm you, or your students in any way. I understand that you may feel uncomfortable in this new territory and will hope to make the process as pleasant as possible for all of us." Minato gives a quiet nod, still stone-faced like a mask.

"Still," Naomasa continues, "Since this is a standard procedure, I have to ask you to accompany to the precinct for questioning."

Aizawa has learned to pull his information about Minato's possible mood from the other two members of his team. From the corner of his eyes, he sees Kakashi's eyebrows knit together. Not good.

Still, suspiciously, nobody objects.

Nedzu claps his hands, cheerfully and the room collectively twitches. "Well then!" Nedzu squeaks, "Off we go, gentlemen!"

The headmaster is the first to exit the room, Naomasa behind him, holding open the door for Rin, who acknowledges him with a bob of her head.

Aizawa grabs his cup tighter and slides out off his chair to follow outside behind Minato and Kakashi. The two share a long look and when Minato breaks the eye contact and turns, Kakashi's frown only deepens. Not fucking good.