Chapter Three

Scarlett

"Hey there," my brother's voice cut through the silence of the room.

My gaze shifted from the glimmering swimming pool to the entrance, where my twin, Ryan, is strolling in with two blonde girls in his arms.

"Why don't you darlings take a seat over there?" He gestures at the sun loungers near the pool. "And I'll join you in a minute." He says with a wink.

They nod in unison before they leave us.

Ryan walks up to me. "How hot are they?" He asks with a grin on his face.

He is easily amused.

I lift my shoulder in a half-shrug. "They are all right. Clearly your type," I mock.

Not sensing the mockery, he leans in close, and whispers, "They are not related," before glancing over his shoulders at them. "I swear girls around here have the same face."

"Or the same doctor?" I add.

"I can leave you with one if you want"

I act as if I'm considering his offer, while the sound of cameras clicking and the chatter of the women rings in my ears. "I'll pass."

"Your loss." Ryan clears his throat as he adjusts the lapels of his grey suit, realizing it's time to be serious. "Why are we here?"

"What do you think about this place?." I stretch my arms wide, giving a dramatic introduction to my new home. "5,635 square feet, four bedrooms, four baths, a gym, a screening room, a pool, and a driveway so long you can't see the end of it. What do you think?"

I am proud of this place. It was hard getting the perfect place in a short amount of time, but my real estate agent really came through for me on this one.

Ryan raises his eyebrows. "Is this the new career path? Are you trying to sell it to me? "

"No, I bought it. It's mine."

Ryan puts his hands in his pockets, looks around for a few seconds, and then settles is eyes on me. "Cool, but why buy a house in New York when you are coming home to Chicago with me?"

"Whoever told you I was coming back to Chicago?" I cross my arms over my chest. The excitement of introducing my new place is fading.

"Funny," Ryan says with a wry smirk, his eyebrows knitting together. "Didn't you see the text I sent? Mum wants to meet and have a discussion about your future in the company. Our plan worked."

"Oh, I forgot you are now mum's messenger bitch." I joke.

"I am not, you are." He points at me, "That's why I need you to go back to doing what you do, so I can go back to doing..." He looks over to his shoulders to smile at the girls. "What I do."

"I am not coming back. I accepted the job."

Ryan stares at me with a look of utter confusion. I bet he cannot believe his ears. He must think I have gone mad. I may have.

For as long as I knew what I wanted, I have desired to be the CEO of Bell's Digital. To achieve that, I always had to serve. And I did.

This goal was just in my grasp a week ago, so close. I could feel it. Last week was filled with anticipation, I thought it would be the best week of my life. With my mum, Elaine Bell, transitioning out of the role, I was honored to take over as CEO. Blind-sided, mum made the decision to appoint an outsider to the CEO position.

Since that day, I woke up each morning feeling empty; no spark of anger, no flicker of joy, nothing to give me a sense of purpose. I felt like I was being pulled into a bottomless void, and I had no energy to shout for help.