Chapter 5 [Foe]

You walked down to the outlet mall and began looking for anything questionable. You were so used to Dazai handling the brunt of the investigation that you just sucked at solo assignments.

When you finally figured out who was to blame for these occurrences, you returned them to Mori, as he had instructed.

Mori had assigned you modest and little duties for the following three days. To be honest, you were getting tired of them, but at the very least, you were accustomed to solo missions after that.

You'd returned to Chuuya's dorm, but he was still missing. It had been a full week. Even though you knew he'd been assigned a bigger responsibility, you were concerned.

You

"Yes. He still hasn't returned... Is this still considered normal?... Or..."

Mori

"Hm. Instead of taking on the task that I had just recently given you, I'll send you out to go check up on Chuuya. I would consider this quite unusual since he isn't answering my calls. Please, hurry."

You were told the location and then given a really fine, affluent car to travel there in.

You'd finally made it to this location, which was located just outside of Yokohama. It was a huge, deserted facility. You had anticipated hearing a lot of shooting and screams since everything was so silent, but nothing was heard.

Despite the fact that you had not heard anything, you chose to remain attentive. As you examined the area, the sound of your footsteps shuffling on the pavement was a bit distracting.

You entered the abandoned facility's final room, the only one you hadn't seen before. You felt a lengthy gaze on the back of your neck, you turned around and glanced back.

The piercing sound of a single gunshot blasted your ears, followed by a long, continuous, ringing noise.

???

"Watch out!"

Someone had dashed up to you and shoved you out of the way. Due to the amount of power used in this motion, both of you tumbled around on the ground quite a bit, exacerbating the ringing in your ears.

You

"Oh!-"

???

"What the hell are you doing here?!"

The deafening blasts were from a sniper who had failed miserably to eliminate his targets.

You

"Chuuya! I was ordered to come to check up on you!... It's been days!"

Chuuya

"You shouldn't be here!"

He winced as he yelled. After all, he was on top of you, so your eyes traced all over his body. You tried to look for any conceivable injuries he could have, but the sniper wouldn't let you, and he pulled the trigger anew.

You shoved Chuuya off of you this time, and in the act, you pushed yourself the other way so the bullet wouldn't strike either of you.

Chuuya