CHAPTER 4

Hours ago.

Back at the bar, the man had behaved very gentlemanly and led her out of the bar.

Eva recognised her own car even through her drunkenness. She frowned at him. Did he not understand what she had told him earlier? Maybe she needed to make it more clear to him so he would not misunderstand her meaning.

“Where’s the devil? You said that you’re going to bring me to meet with the devil. Are you telling me that this car of mine is the devil?” she glared at him.

But the gorgeous man chuckled softly in response. As if he found her reaction and her words amusing.

“How adorable.”

“You… you’re…! Are you trying to fool me here–“ her temper erupted as she lost patience with this joker.

“I am not, pet.” His smile faded as he looked at her with a serious but gentle expression. “It’s just that, the devil has told me previously that he did not like talking to anyone who is still drunk. And you, my pet… are so drunk I can bet you aren’t able to spell your own name forwards much less backwards. So, I am going to send you home for now. Don’t worry, I will introduce him to you myself the moment you’re nice and sober.”

“I told you I am not!” Her voice became loud. ‘I. Am. Not. Drunk!’ Eva insisted to herself in her mind, not realising how unstable she was on her feet and raised her right arm somewhat shakily and pointed at the irritating man.

She wobbled unsteadily and he stepped forward to catch and support her. The actions only landed Eva into his rather comfortable and strong arms.

“Hey! Be careful of your steps. What’s your home address? Or is there anyone I can call to pick you up?” The man gently asked. His face no longer held the teasing expression, instead, there was a faint hint of concern for the lady who still looked as though she could faint at any moment. He thought that though she was all  bluff and bluster, she currently looked so frail that a strong gust of wind would be sufficient to blow her away. He stared at her pale face and waited for her to respond to his question.

“Anyone to call…?” She repeated tonelessly after a few seconds of blanking out, and her face suddenly fell and became utterly sad. He caught the flash of pain and loneliness in her eyes before she lowered those thick and long lashes, hiding those clear orbs from his view.

She smiled bitterly before scoffing.

“I don’t want to go home. And there is no one… no one that I could call.” She bit her lip to stop it from trembling. He could feel her taking in a steadying breath, trying to gather herself together and holding back from just falling apart and collapsing in front of him, a stranger. He could feel her tenacious willpower. He had to give it to her for not just melting into a puddle of blubbering mess even though she was this drunk. That spoke a lot of her willpower. This chick has got spunk. And he grinned to himself.

Then she turned those clear eyes at him. There was no sign of the pain or loneliness that he saw earlier in those unclouded orbs, but they now shone with a strong and stubborn determination again.