CHAPTER 10

“What happened?” the sexy deep voice echoed as he bent and picked up the phone on the floor.

Abruptly, Eva turned around and faced the wall obviously to hide her expression from him, from this stranger. “Nothing. Please help me turn the phone off,” she managed to say in a small voice.

Gage looked at her for a long while before turning the phone off as she had requested. Once that was done, his gaze fell at her shaking shoulders when suddenly, his head whipped towards the threshold.

His mouth twitched a little before he spoke. “I have an unwanted visitor, pet. You wait here. I’ll be right back.”

As soon as he left, Eva buried her face into her palms as she screamed within her mind. ‘What?! Fraud? Misconduct?! Are you all kidding me?! Why? Why must you go to this extent? How could you do this to me? Are all of you really serious about planning to destroy me completely? Why?!’

Slamming the side of her fist against the wall, Eva swore under her breath, “I will never forgive any one of you!” Her eyes were gleaming with anger and unshed tears. She would brand this mistreatment against her in her heart and would never forget it. “I swear I will make you all pay ten-fold for every single wrong you have done to me!”

Overcome with anger, Eva walked out of the kitchen. She still did not know what to do or where to even begin. However, she just wanted to do something right now or else she swore she would totally lose it. First things first, she must leave this house so she could go and start dealing with this! If she were to just stay here and wait around, she might end up exploding in anger! No! She refused to just let those bitches do this to her! 

Her steps were hurried as she stormed towards the living room. But she suddenly halted the moment she saw Gage sitting leisurely and graciously in that same chair again. Her eyes fell to a man handsomely dressed in black and wearing  fine wire framed glasses who was standing before Gage.

Eva’s eyes widened as she recognised him. ‘Wait! Isn’t that… Mr. Park? That’s the infamous secretary of  Mr. Carlson, the CEO of ACEON’s Enterprise! What is he doing here?!’

And before she had realised, she had already hidden herself behind the wall.

“Sir, Master sent me here to ask you one last time. If you’re still not interested in  taking the CEO position for ACEON’s, the chairman will give the position to someone else. He has already prepared a list of candidates to choose from.” Mr. Park informed Gage as he directly mentioned the fact that he was not the only person in the running for that position.

Eva was taken aback as she thought, ‘What? Wait… this man… he’s being offered the position as the next CEO of ACEON? My rival company? What the hell’s going on? Who is this man?’

Gage only raised a brow and replied, “Hmm… CEO, huh? But that’s a lot of work, Mr. Park.” He drawled out lazily and surprisingly, Mr. Park doesn’t look surprised at all at Gage’s attitude.  

“Oh, come on, Sir. You’re the one who co-founded the company when you’re younger. You and I know you can handle this position easily.” The secretary coaxed. He was patient and it seems like the man was already used to this.

“I have already long since lost interest in this project, Mr. Park. You know that very well. If I become the CEO, I’ll most probably cause the company’s downfall.” Gage smirked evilly, a wicked smile saying that he wouldn’t even care if the company would go bankrupt under his leadership. “Lack of motivation is a serious flaw, and you know you can’t force that. The only thing I can gain from this is more money. However, you and I both know how useless that is to me – something that I already have a great amount of. Why would I want to work my ass off to earn more money when I already have more than what I can never even finish spending in this lifetime?”

The secretary sighed, looking defeated even before he could start. How was he going to report back to his master?! “Err… well, the master just thought that maybe you’re bored now and might want to work hard again?” He had to give some excuse even though it sounded so lame in his own ears after saying it.

“Ah, I’d be bored to death if I actually took on that position, Mr. Park.” Gage teased Mr. Park and smirked at him.

Mr. Park sighed quietly before giving up on trying to persuade Gage. “Al… Alright, I understand, sir. I will forward your message to the master so he will be able to start choosing from the list of candid –”

“Wait!” Eva’s voice echoed in the spacious living room.

The secretary looked so shocked as he whipped his head towards Eva while Gage just smiled faintly as he turned over towards Eva’s way. But Eva’s gaze was so focused on Mr. Park she missed the smile that flashed across Gage’s face.

Hastily, Eva walked towards them, her face extremely serious and determined and almost scary.

Mr. Park, who was already taken aback at the sight of a woman actually inside the mansion, was baffled again when he recognized the woman striding over to them with determined steps. “Miss Young?! W-w-what are you doing here –” he was so shocked at her presence that he was stammering when he spoke.

“She’s my guest.” Gage offered his explanation, eyes sharply observing the behaviours of the two people before him.
Mr. Park was dumbstruck as his head continued looking from Eva to Gage and back again, seemingly unable to accept that there was some kind of relationship between these two persons.

Eva looked at Mr. Park and addressed him, “Please wait a moment, Mr. Park. We’ll be back in a while.” She then grabbed Gage’s hand and unceremoniously pulled him back into the kitchen.