𝐎𝐍𝐄

Tonight, Amil was on her 3rd shift at Ford Hospital

Tonight, Amil was on her 3rd shift at Ford Hospital. Travel Nursing had been stressful lately. Moving from city to city for months or weeks at a time was tiring. But she loved those 6 digits in her bank account. Now, she was in Detroit. She hadn't been to Detroit in years. Last time she had visited she was 12 visiting her cousins Sade and Corey.

She would be in Detroit for a year. Her assignment was worth over 200k, she figured why not? Getting up from the small break room, she walked down the hall. Amil worked on the Trauma unit.

Throughout the day, there were so many victims of gun violence or senseless acts of violence. She always found herself stepping out for a few minutes.

Checking her phone she pulled her mask over her nose. The team at the hospital had a group app they used to communicate quickly. She checked the messages for any updates on where she needed to be.

Amil, please assist the young man in 206z. Meds and vitals.

Amil responded to the message and stuffed her phone in her pocket.  Luckily she was already on the second floor. Walking towards the room she noticed the young man had family waiting outside of his room door.

They all looked flashy. She couldn't tell who they were simply because she was not from here, but she could tell they had some sort of status. Before walking into the room she checked the cart outside of his door. It was a clipboard with notes on the patient.

She read it over in her head.

One gunshot wound to the torso and one to the leg. Patient stable but has lost a significant amount of blood. family is very concerned (bmf)

The hell did bmf mean?

She shrugged it off and continued reading the lengthy clipboard. As a man approached her.

"Yo, so y'all not gone update us on how he doin'? Or y'all just gone keep being secretive and shit."

She looked at him while his whole family looked at her. Trying to keep her composure, she took a deep breath. "Excuse me, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that you all weren't updated on his condition. After looking over the notes he's stabilized but he did lose a lot of blood. We're working on his vitals and meds."

The woman who was a bit older than everyone spoke up, "Thank you sweetie. We over here worried sick I'm sure you understand our frustration."

Amil nodded as the man who came at her with an attitude went back to his seat. He had about 4 or five chains on that glistened under the hospital light.