The Bust

Diamonds.

Made of purely carbon. Yet, it represent so social status that breeds weakness and insecurity.

It made defines celebrities and royalty and its hungered by the poor.

But there's a different side to the story. Because for a Rochess woman in this dark and chaotic world of smuggling, diamonds are only a facade.

Hidden on the outskirts of Liverpool lies the underground factory for high-class weaponry that produces various guns and artillery for war — in mafia's terms, for chaos. But it's really all for money.

We hide under the pretense of mining diamonds and crafting artisan jewelry for the elite. But under tons of Rochess stones are smuggled artillery. The market? None other than the government agencies and the mafia.

Who would know that two polar organizations are using the same caliber? Their stupidity and aggressiveness allow us to exploit them. If only someone taught them how to use their mouths, we would probably be out of order. But no, humans do not simply forget. We take revenge.

And what's sweeter than serving revenge? Not when it's served cold, but when it's fucking grand.

*Bang* 

I heard the casing roar on the cement. The gun on my hand felt heavy yet familiar as I finished another magazine.

As all my ancestors say, shooting has been a requirement in this industry. If you don't know how to use one, you are probably dead and laying cold ten feet underground.

As early as thirteen, I was taught how to use a gun. When other girls fantasize over boys, I played with Gustavs. Pistols feels like a second skin more than my clothes. For years, it became an extension of my hand and life.

I felt a tap on my left shoulder, and I looked over to my assistant Diego with a paper in hand.

"Olivia, There's a big bust Madam" I read it hastily.

The ringing of the gunshot cleared. And my hand suddenly quivered. How can it be? We've smoothened the plan for weeks and screened all logistics personnel involved.

I quickly removed the earmuffs and the vest to run from the shooting range to an enclosed lounge. Diego briefed me as soon as we reached closed doors.

"The shipment of high-grade weapons to Italy got busted the American federation conducting bust operations." He proceeded to show me some pictures from his phone

A man named Anton was first interrogated but got killed during an inevitable encounter with the local police when he escaped. He clearly was protecting you and decided to minimize the backlash. According to his peers, they didn't expect anything or suspect anyone."

I felt a heavy weight on my heart when I heard Anton's death. My hands felt a different kind of cold.

The million-dollar shipment was on its last juncture before being smuggled out of Europe, through Croatia, and under the nose of the marines. This can't be! Michael and I personally handled the papers smoothly, knowing that this was a big order. We've done it multiple times before. What did we miss? How is this one different from the last?

"Yes. I am directly speaking to the Baron. I will up—" Diego's picked up his phone as his voice got replaced by the newscaster on the flat screen.

"Breaking news just came in. A shipment full of alleged diamonds was detected to conceal weapons usually used by the military. The police and intelligence were tipped last night regarding the black market trade as suspicions rise following a similar gun bust in Spain. 10 minutes into the raid, guns were fired and multiple policemen were injured. We are still waiting for a few updates regarding any involveme—"

This could've happened a few hours ago and we didn't even smelled it. It's now all over the news. I can feel the sour taste in my mouth as the woman's voice o on the news program was silenced by Michael's thundering voice.

"The bust in Spain was not ours, to begin with. So how did a messy mediocre smuggling incident points the federation to our tails?"

This is too much. I know that we can't just stand here and plan. We need to make a move. Every second counts, and every second we waste is a step towards our doom.

"Call the warehouse and tell them to replace the confiscated weapons." I ordered to no one in particular. "Then, open the factory in Staten Island so we can push manufacturing hours until the last day of delivery. I will carry the needed materials on my aircraft. Then, contact customs to secure our lines. As for Michael, get the security and we are leaving as soon as possible. We need to supervise Staten Island."

Everyone snapped into place. Our once still and quiet room suddenly emerged with bustling of briefcases, tapped cellphone buttons, and the constant swishing of the door.

It all happened so fast yet so slow. We have a lot of things to cover with little time.

Diego finished his call and reported. "I just got off from our team on land. Some of our men are killed, and some are on the run. With little to no resources, some of them can get arrested. They are currently hiding in plain sight. From our assessment, it's not looking good, Boss. Especially with our next order for the intelligence", Diego informed us as he dropped the phone. Michael instantly cursed. This only means that we will be revealed to the public soon and litigated for double-crossing the government.

"Rescue our men, use our decoys. These men have been trained to understand Rochess code."

Saving them is more than saving a life. It's about the principle of never letting anyone down; never leaving anyone behind. I can't let my dad down or the people working for me.

The Black Smith has been in this industry for four generations, and we operate under the hidden identity of the Baron — ME. My great grandparents decided to operate this way for security purposes, which allowed us to fly high yet stay under the radar. Michael comes in as my representative, only showing his face and making an appearance if necessary.

"Michael, How is Italy handling it?"

"Boss, they are yet to make a statement."

Both Michael and Diego await my instructions. I glanced at the television when the story escalated as more and more police entered the scene. The camera focused on a man in a black suit and silver tie. I can already recognize the most feared detectives from his back frame — Inspector Carlos Serano. He can easily bust a multi-generational organization in a month. He is vicious and cunning, like a mafia man.

One step forward and two steps back.

Unfortunately, Serano getting in the picture complicates things further. It means that we are in deep trouble, and we only have 24 hours before they can find leads. I am lucky that there's none, but that is only because someone died and sacrificed themselves for their family and the Rochess.

Omertà

I can feel the necklace on my neck, seemingly getting tighter and tighter. There was a pregnant pause between Michael and me. We both know what this means. With limited information from the ground, we are like a mouse willingly entering a lion's den.

In that split second, we knew what we had to do. But there are more important matters.

I picked up my phone and called Aileen, Anton's wife. Aileen who always greets us with a smile on her face and a carrot cake on her hand.

As I was waiting for her to pick-up, Michael laid his patted my shoulders and walked away. Probably to call our lawyers, or grab some coffee, but definitely not to break someone's heart with death.