Close Contact

If you were to tell me that I would be in close quarters with Ethan Edevanes, I would have laughed at you until my insides turned and twisted, let alone his private plane. I am seated between the aisle and the window, while Ethan is a few seats ahead from me.

Running on a few naps does not do well with my mental state. The hushed voices from Ethan and his team didn't help. I felt a warm surface touching my arms as Michael slid a warm cup of coffee.

"You think he's planning your death?" I half-assed smiled at Michael for his humor.

I looked back at the scene unfolding in front of me. Ethan enjoys detonating the bomb he offered to take. By the looks of it, it was as if he didn't feel the tension I was feeling. And I can see why. This would secure his reign on Rio while boosting his other ventures.

I, on the other hand, is a tangled piece of mess. This is the first time we got caught in a storm – a storm we weren't prepared to take. And, it shows. My weaknesses are slowly cracking and this has been pointed out by my inability to decide. The little knowledge about Mafia wars or whatever you call it didn't help.

Speaking of tension, our security details are clearly tense. They're shooting unwanted bullets with their eyes as they try to navigate the 16 seater aircraft. I looked at the two parties and silently found my head throbbing at the comic-like scenario I put ourselves into.

One side for the Edevanes, while the other for the Rochess. In what seems like a 10 feet width chamber, the two clans tried to be friendly, and I mean try. Every movement is tracked by the other. It's like they're dancing a ballet but with muscles and guns, so synchronized yet unlikely. I laughed at the mental image.

I looked at Ethan. I can see him agreeing to who I assume as his head security who I recalled to be named Lawrence. He's a scrawny guy but appears to be quiet and reserved. They must have felt me looking because they immediately got up from their seats and sat in front of me.

"The Garcias are dangerous."

"I know." Every man in this world is.

"So, I need to know why"

"Why or how did I pissed them off?" I clarified.

"Why did you wage war against them? Did you think pin-pointing them and plotting your trails to another clan would help you with Serano?"

Does he think I'm this dumb? I wanted to get away from the Mafia as early as we met in the alley, hell, as early as I was a kid even. Only fools would only do such thing.

"You're wrong," I continued. "I was merely distracting Serano and moving his suspicions from England to America. It was pure bad luck that we stumbled upon Garcia"

"Are you telling the truth? Because this would both end badly for us if you start betraying me Rochess"

Now? Betray him? I could've done that weeks before. Plot a dangerous publicity stunt to prove my innocence and save myself. If I wanted to, I could. But, I want a clean and seamless exit.

"I am one step away from jail, one decision away from losing the Rochess clan, my business, and my family's legacy. If you want me to betray you then you're as useless as a wet cardboard box " I crossed my arms.

He looked at Michael and deeply sighed.

"Listen here princess. I'm only doing this because of your recklessness 8 hours ago. If you kept your mouth shut then I wouldn't be here."

"I wouldn't be here either if it wasn't for your interference during the dumb bust. No one wants to be here so put on your big boy briefs."

Noses were flaring and we're one step away from drawing our guns. Stop it, Olivia. Ethan is your last ticket out from this hell hole