XXXVII

I try to come up with a reason that would make it seem wrong, a reason that he shouldn't kill my father, but none come to mind that I would believe myself. He's right, in his own way. But murder? How can someone discuss that so freely, "He's my father, while I might not love him or even care about him, he doesn't deserve to be killed. Even the other two people."

"You are in a new parallel. This is how we do things. I am not going to let your father continue to ruin your life. As your j'kani it is my job to take care of you, and this will be cutting the head of a snake that wants to kill you. Now, we must go if we want to make it on time." He stands up, I stay seated.

He sighs running a hand down his face, "You either walk or I will toss you over my shoulder, and I do have a preference."

The chair shakes from my sudden standing motion, his face moving into a smirk, "Good. Let's go."

His hand wraps through mine one again dragging me through the hallways. I catch a glimpse of the library doors my heart sinking in my chest. What kind of work have I been brought into?

The large doors come into view the windows on either side giving view of the lava river, the large fall on one side of the city. Raphael pauses to grab a pair of shoes that match my dress holding them out to me, "You will need these."

I take the shoes kneeling down to slide them over my feet. The King waits patiently above me. I go to stand losing balance. My face falls forward with my body pressing deep into my stomach before he catches me and holds me eye level with his waist line.

"Uh..." I have my hands against his upper thighs and eyes on his belt, my breathing is heavy and so is his, this position being rather, inviting.

"My King!" An attendant yells, Raphael pulling me up quickly into a hug digging my face into his chest. I feel my cheeks turn red with embarrassment, my breathing raggedy against him, "I am so sorry to disturb you and Lady Sultana."

"Do you have my cloak?"

"Yes-yes! I brought it." I hear the shuffle of her feet and the soft material of his cloak running over my arms.

I pull away from him letting my red face face the windows to hide from the attendant. While I might hate the man, being in such a position stirred something deep inside I wasn't ready to deal with.

"You always wear a cloak?" I mumble to him, Raphael clipping it around his neck and fixing his black button up and slacks.

"This is a sign of my status, it pairs with my crown, and yours. It's more convenient to wear the cloak that protects from heat, and creates darkness that I can bend, than to wear a heavy crown that will get stolen."

"Oh."

He opens the door for me guiding me into the blinding suns.

People line the walkway all with similar devices to a camera and mics held out, "King Dagon! Is this your j'kani?"

"When's the wedding, King Dagon?"

"Are you executing her father today, my King?"

"Lady Sultana, are you in love with King Dagon?"

"Are you pregnant?"

Am I what?

A man in an all red uniform and staff walks next to Raphael whispering into his ear as we continue to walk down the pathway. Under his breath I hear the distinct, "Handle them."

Nothing more is demanded as the man steps back, more of the red suits coming into view to follow behind us. Their staffs are held out, my head craning to look at them. I feel Raphaels hand guide my face forward, "It is against the law to enter my property, these media's have signed their fate."

Then they were silent.