XVIII

"Why didn't you tell me about your father?" She now sits in front of my cracked mirror as I quickly move around to adjust her finger and pop it back into place while it is still numb.

"No need." I mumble grabbing her finger and silently counting to three pulling it till I hear a loud pop. I look up and see her intently biting her lip trying to keep herself contained.

"No need? Tan he beats you." Hearing her say the words out loud is a direct his on my emotions. I know he beats me, don't say it so loud.

No words seem to form at my lips and I listen to Vale as her frustration with me becomes more evident, "Sultana. Please."

"Please what Vale? Would you have even listened?" I finally growl out lowering her hand for a minute just to stare at her, "You made it your personal mission to make my life a living hell and for that I don't see why I would have gone to you for help. You would not have listened nor cared as to what I had to say. You were too damn focused on keeping your straight image up that you didn't care for anyone else at all."

I said too much.

Valerian breaths in holding her breath looking over my face many times before releasing it, "You are right."

What?

"I should have paid more attention and noticed what you were going through. I was once your best friend and I still care about you no matter how horrible I showed it. You really came through for me, even if life is going to get worse. I cannot tell you how appreciative I am of you and I am so very sorry for causing you any pain." She uses her other hand to grab my upper arm gripping me tightly.

I don't respond, just simply nod and move back to fixing her finger. I might forgive her, but I don't forget.

She respects my silence keeping quiet as I moved to finish up wrapping the brace around her finger that I had in my first aid kit.

After she was all fixed up we moved to the living room sharing the recliner holding each other. Neither of us wanted to make any food with my oven that seems to be on its last leg, or the fact that the food was bought by someone of painful memories. All we wanted was to be held and safe.